I Was A Dog Person Until I Got A Cat

I Was A Dog Person Until I Got A Cat

Try out the cat life; you won't regret it.

133
I Was A Dog Person Until I Got A Cat
Amber Conroy

I always thought I was strictly a dog person. Since I was a little girl, there was always a dog in the house but never a cat. Everything I knew about cats was from the stereotypes you would always hear people say: Cats are evil, they are selfish brats, and they can't be bothered by humans and their insignificant presence. The only real interaction I had with a cat growing up was with my best friend's cat, who would run away from you, hiss at you, and scratch you if you tried to pet, let alone look at her. Needless to say, my experiences (or lack thereof) with cats brought me to the conclusion that cats are mean and dogs are the only logical option as a loving and cuddly pet.

Fast forward a little, and I am now in my last year of college and have recently become a mom. I am the mother of a six pound, six month old, domestic, short-haired, orange tabby cat named Hennessy. Raising a cat is nothing like I thought it would be, and along the way, I discovered all the things about cats that make them the perfect pet.

For one thing, Henny is my personal alarm clock. I love my sleep and am guilty of recklessly sleeping in on more occasions than I should. However, with Henny in the house, I barely get to sleep past eight in the morning because he is running around my room and pouncing on my head, trying to wake me up, so I can feed him. That being said, when it is time to sleep or relax, Henny is the best cuddle buddy because he is always willing to snuggle up next to you. He'll even sit on my shoulder and watch my computer screen with me or sit in front of the television and get a front row view of whatever I am watching.

Henny is also great at making sure I don't get stressed out from working too hard. If I'm doing homework or working on my laptop, he makes sure to lay down and spread out on top of it to give me a little break. He also makes sure I don't forget to get some exercise in by having me chase him around the house with a laser beam or by repeatedly taking him off the counters and out of the sink.

Best of all, Henny is great at spreading the love. You know he is showing how much he cares when he rubs his face up against yours, when he kneads you like pizza dough, and when he licks you and tries to clean you. He also shows that he feels safe by rolling over on his back and stretching his chin out. He is great at keeping me company and always keeps my life a little exciting.

Whoever says that dogs are soft and fluffy have clearly never met a cat because cats are literally just a giant ball of fluff. They must have no bones and be made of liquid because they can fit their bodies in and take the shape of anything. They are also very good at playing hide and seek because sometimes, they can be impossible to find, but they will always find you, even when you didn't know you were hiding.

All I can say is, cats are pretty cool. I still love dogs, but Hennessy may have converted me into a cat lady.