Dog people are great. We're loving, loyal, caring... and we just really love dogs. There's no other way to explain it. We're dog people. You probably know at least one dog person, and if you're not a dog person it might be hard to understand them. Here are 16 things all dog people do-- there are, obviously a few exceptions, but not that many. Trust me.
1. We always know when a dog is nearby
Whether it's through app or their doggy-senses, we know when dogs are nearby. It's a gift, really.
2. We will go straight to that dog.
We have no shame. None at all.
3. We will pet the dog.
We'll take whatever risks there are to pet the dog. That dog is beautiful and deserves love.
4. Every dog is a "puppy" or "pup" to us
All puppies. Just accept it. If you try to say, "Oh, that's not a puppy that's a dog" just stop. You don't know how that dog feels about his/her age.
5. We have a favorite breed
My personal favorite? Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Why? They're cutie pies. That's it. They're actual perfection. We have a favorite breed of dog like a parent has a favorite child. Everyone knows who it is, but I still pretend I like them all the same when they're in the same room.
6. "My dog is the best dog" said every dog owner ever
This is Sasha, my German Shephard. She was 1 when we took this picture-- she's currently 7.
Me yesterday: my dog is the best dog
Me earlier today: my dog is the best dog
Me ten years from now: my dog is the best dog
7. We can't resist the head tilt
LOOK AT IT.
Only the strongest can result this genius tactic and, sadly, we are not those people.
8. When friends or coworkers ask to see pictures of our family we need to scroll through all the pictures of our dog(s) first
I can't even lie to you, when my phone storage is full I delete contacts before I delete pictures of my dog #Facts
9. We would rather live out of a car than give up our dog(s)
10. We start to say things like "sit" and "lie down" to humans. Oops.
We're sorry, but it's habit. When we spend too much time with our dogs we get used to telling them what to do... and now we've started to do it to others.
11. We don't remember a time without a dog in our lives
The lucky ones grew up with dogs and all our memories have our dog in the background. They may not still be with us, but we still love them with all our hearts.
12. Lint rollers everywhere
I'm not gonna lie, I've ordered this before. I go through lint rollers like it's no one's business! I have lint rollers in every room of my house, every purse, car, locker, everywhere. You never know when you'll need one.
13. We take it personally when a dog goes to someone else before us
This is probably the worst feeling in the world. You probably spent a lot of time telling your loved ones how much dogs love you back, and this is just heartbreaking for everyone involved.
14. And on the other side, we're honored whenever a dog runs straight to us.
So, other dog owners, don't apologize for your dog being a beautifully graceful ball of fur running straight at me. I'm in heaven.
15. We actually like dogs more than we like humans
Dogs are just better than most humans. A dog will never leave your side, a dog will never let you down. A dog is loyal and just, and loves everyone they meet until they're given a reason not to. Dogs are great.
Dogs are a true gift to humankind. They truly are "man's best friend," and I'm very lucky to have one of my own!