Does Status Matter?
Education

Does Status Matter?

Is it true that a social hierarchy determines our status?

425
Does Status Matter?

Sometimes I wish people looked like their personalities so that way you could see people for what they truly are. When you're little, you're naive to those around you. Everyone is friendly and anyone who says they're Batman, well they're Batman and there's no justification needed because everyone is good and the world is your playground. Growing up, you learn that some people are superficial or that they care about appearances, power or money. Those sole categories rule their decision making when it comes down to who they associate or work with. If someone is rich or well known for the right reasons, you assume it's because they worked hard or they are genuine. If someone is talked lowly of or is avoided at all costs, you assume its because they're rude or not someone worth your time. I can kinda see why people have that mentality since you have to judge by appearances and what you think you know. However, both situations are based on perception and assumptions, which are never accurate. To truly know someones intentions or who they are, you have to know them. That's usually not the preferred method since it takes time and effort.

In college, you can see this behavior replicate itself. If you're not well connected or in a place of power and status, you aren't "thought of highly" or known. I could care less about this mentality, but it is often displayed and is a bitter reminder that status does play a role for many.

I have met people who are in great social groups, but they are the worst of human beings. They abuse their position and they make those who aren't "on top" feel like they aren't worthy of their godlike presence. It has even gotten to the point that the new members of the group are reminded that they can't be seen publicly because god forbid it would taint their top dog status. To those who are new to this atmosphere, it can set off an unwelcoming presence. I mean, what kind of leadership and mentorship is that? I thought high school was bad enough, but this one really takes the cake. What made me express my opinion on this was the fact that I met a few members from the "low groups" who were very genuine and kind. They never once made me feel like those who were too cool for me. I have met people who are very independent and are thriving here on campus. I have also met people who come from great programs and groups who make me question how in the world they got that role. Recently, I encountered someone who was a "big deal" on campus and they encouraged me to not associate with those on the bottom of the hierarchy or I too could end up there. Wow. Really didn't expect that from someone who is supposed to embody and represent a leadership rich in compassion for others. If benevolence and mentorship are built upon this, then it is saddening and people need to realize that eventually, this childlike perception will soon come to an end. And let's be real, it's college. This isn't some round of middle school "hot or not list". In the end, we should try to find people who make us and themselves better. Or better yet, we should strive to be the best versions of ourselves out there so that way everyone feels welcoming and inclusive. Status shouldn't be a trait we look for in people.

In a perfect world, social ranking doesn't matter. It, unfortunately, will always be a thing because status is what drives certain people. In college, I have seen it in action and it not only draws an invisible line, but it creates unnecessary boundaries between those around them. By letting go of this mentality, we can form better bonds with each other and create a positive atmosphere. The saying "don't judge a book by its cover" is really undermined because as much as we say it, we do it daily.