Does Social Media Help or Hinder Relationships?

The pros and cons of social media.

661

The advancements which have been made in recent years with technology is incredible. Phones are faster, smarter and more powerful than ever – some even becoming waterproof. While this is an example of a benefit of technology, there are some things that seem to be done more efficiently the “old fashioned way.” Similarly, the pros and cons of social media platforms specifically exist too. Many relationships flourish on social media, but diminish in real life because of it. Different perspectives on what is and is not appropriate to post occur, for example, which can cause a lot of tension between two people.

As a journalism student who is submerged into the news on a daily basis and breathes all the “latest and greatest” gossip about celebrities, sports, technology and businesses, I have a very unique perspective about social media compared to someone who uses it more recreationally and to someone who does not use it at all.

Personally, I like posting on social media (which most of my followers I’m sure would attest). Although it is fun to see how many likes you get on a picture or post, or who the people are liking it, that is something that has not always remained a priority for me. I like posting because I like taking pictures in the first place, so having a platform to share my photos to is really cool in my opinion. Additionally, I love being able to follow my friends and people in my community to see their posts as well.

This is another benefit to social media, being able to stay in touch with people around the world over years and years. Many people are able to network with old classmates, peers, neighbors, family and friends through the use of social media, so this is a way people are able to communicate and stay connected.

On the other hand, posting on social media and being able to connect with people can be seen as a negative thing, especially in relationships. For example, many people will post things about their significant other, and this is now a part of relationships that makes things “official” with another person. “If they are not posting about you, are they really that into you?” is basically the mindset many people view this. Additionally, if someone else is posting about your significant other, this can sometimes be interpreted as a way of someone else showing they are interested in your partner. Yes, this means people sometimes read too much into posts. However, it is not rare that these interpretations are false. Being able to connect with people can cause problems in relationships because sometimes what people post to social media can make others uncomfortable. People who are seen as threatening to a relationship may be friends with someone involved in the relationship, which can sometimes mess with the amount of trust two people have in each other. Similarly, people can connect with people from their past, which is not always a good thing for relationships.

Regardless of what is more true in regards to whether social media helps or hinders relationships, I think it comes down to the people in the relationship and the way they approach their relationship and themselves on social media. People need to be responsible for their actions on social media and realize that people can and generally will see everything on social media, regardless if they are blocked or not. Do not let something like social media determine and define the state of your relationship with another person.