Does Boycotting Inauguration Conflict With My Morals?

Is it wrong to reprimand those who criticize a president I support and then support those who boycott a president I do not support?

34
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/01/16/6362018865568719341892788395_pexels-photo.jpg

As of now, over two dozen members of Congress are boycotting President-elect Trump's inauguration on Friday, January 20. As I hear of more and more people boycotting the inauguration, I've struggled with how I feel about this.

It's no secret that I was extremely disappointed with Donald Trump's election. I do not believe that there is much depth to his character. I am offended by his words and embarrassed by his constant immature behavior. I am terrified of the hate that he has encouraged and inspired. I do not want him to represent me. I am scared for the future of our country as it lies in his hands.

However, throughout Obama's presidency, I have spoken up to those verbally attacking the president, arguing that you have no place to criticize if you do not have a better plan yourself. I have claimed that the president deserves respect, even if you disagree with their policies, because holding that position is one of the most difficult jobs in the world. I have stated that we must recognize the fact that over half of our country voted to elect this person.

If I argued these things when people denounced a president that I supported, wouldn't it be hypocritical to turn a blind eye to denunciation towards a president that I do not support?

I've felt really torn about this. Each time I see a report of another politician boycotting the inauguration, my stomach churns a little bit. It's cognitive dissonance. My mind tells me to respect the man our country elected, but my gut completely understands these boycotts, and truly agrees with them. I cannot say that I respect Donald Trump. It is intensely difficult to respect someone who does not respect me.

Yet, I understand that respect for the humanity of our leaders is an important part of democracy. If we do not value our democratic processes, we are in trouble.

Ultimately, I've decided I do not support rude, cruel remarks or blatant disrespect towards our president-elect. (Though I cannot deny that I feel he absolutely has it coming, I believe in taking the higher ground and treating others as I want to be treated...even if everything screams that they don't deserve that.) However, I do support boycotts, a very peaceful form of protest, and well as marches and respectful but clear criticism.

I still believe that you have no place to criticize if you do not have a better plan. However, I feel that many people have better plans than Trump. I still believe that anyone who takes on the role of president deserves respect. However, respect does not require submission or agreement. In fact, respect invites criticism when criticism is due. I still believe that we should recognize that over half our country voted to elect the president. (Though truly in this case, that is false.) Nevertheless, we must recognize that Trump was elected by the people. For those of us who are extremely disappointed by this, it is time to examine why this happened. Regardless of how we individually voted, we, as a country, elected this man. If we are unhappy with this, it's time for some internal investigation.

I accept that the United States of America elected Donald Trump, and I can respect the fact that he is doing what he believes is best for America, even if I disagree with his actions: even if I don't believe he has every American in mind.

I respect the American right to protest when we disagree. These boycotts are not saying that these politicians deny the election of Trump. They say that they disagree with his values, his stances and his plans, and therefore they do not want to be part of a ceremony that commends these things. They are not saying that they will not work with him; they are saying that they will not celebrate him.

It is useless to refuse to work with fellow politicians (see, government shutdown 2013), but it is meaningful to declare your division from their values.