Dodge Colds With These Tips

Dodge Colds With These Tips

Ways to avoid feeling under the weather at school

25
Dodge Colds With These Tips
google images

Yes, it is that dreaded season: Flu season. While most of us (including myself!) are reveling in the changing fall leaves, the crisp smell in the air, and flattering fall fashion, many people are coming down with a serious case of the sniffles or are plagued with an invincible cough.

So, in this season (which is the best season, obviously) when everyone is coming down with something, how do you keep your head above water and stay healthy? Well, there are a bunch of ways to do that, even at school! If you’re worried about getting sick, don’t—even if your immune system is not amazing, if you follow these simple tricks, I’m sure you can avoid falling ill this semester.

1. Make sure you're eating right.

Like a car, your body is a well-oiled machine, and like your car, if you forget to do maintenance, it’ll break down. That means making sure you drink plenty of water and get all your vitamins—especially vitamin C! Most stores sell (delicious) vitamin C gummies, so there’s no reason not to add them to your daily intake. Also, brace yourself and eat some vegetables from time to time. I promise, they are not as bad as you think they are—they’re actually pretty tasty!

2. Don't surround yourself with disinfectants.

I’m not giving you the go-ahead to never clean—you definitely should, especially after dealing with a cold, but you shouldn’t be using hand sanitizer. Soap and water is the way to go—and using Lysol or Clorox everyday isn’t advisable either. By getting rid of the bacteria you need to build up a resistance to, you’re asking to get sick when you’re finally exposed to it! (Of course if you have an immune disorder, ignore this.)

3. When your friends are sick, don't stick around them.

I’m not saying to leave them to the dogs (that would be mean), but don’t be overly affectionate and let them cough all over you. Bring them soup, and sit on the farthest side of the room away from them. Wash your hands after you leave their presence, and make sure not to touch anything they’ve coughed on!

4. If you get sick, don't try to keep going at full speed.

You might feel tempted to still wake up early, work out, go to all your classes, party it up with your friends, and do homework like a normal day (if you can do all that in one day). Trust me, some rest is just what you need. No matter if that is sleeping in late and missing your daily work out or some quality time with your friends, the longer you push yourself to get everything done, the longer you’ll find yourself sick—and the more sick you will be, trust me.

5. Don't be an idiot!

If your floor is coughing up a storm and there are people vomiting in the bathroom, stay with your friend somewhere else or carry a Lysol can around with you to spray everything before you use it, or lock yourself in your room. If your roommate is sick, bring them soup and tell them they can’t go on your side of the room until they’re better—and clean both sides constantly! (Also, be nice to them, they probably feel awful.)

Anyway, I hope these tips can get you through this semester without falling prey to a nasty bout of the flu, or worse, strep throat or pink eye (although pink eye is nearly inescapable). If you’re already sick, feel better soon!!