Cure Your Loneliness With A Little Exploration & Passion​

The only way to truly be okay with being alone is to learn that being alone is actually a blessing.

49
https://pixabay.com/en/horsewoman-girl-cornfield-leisure-2707691/
Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

Have you ever felt so lonely that you feel you're taking on the world? This is a rhetorical question because it has an obvious answer. If you are human, you have experienced the feeling of being alone before. You might have just gone through a breakup, or felt as if you are losing connection with close friends, or in most cases, you could be in a room with all of your friends and still feel alone. This is normal and is a sign you need to take a step back and think.

If you were facing the world alone, you are a powerful and strong human. Rather than degrading yourself, be proud of yourself.

The word "lonely" may be a scary word to some people, but it is actually a wakeup call that we are all blind to. The primary cure to loneliness is learning that you are your own best friend. When you feel alone that just means it's time to do something for yourself. Now don't take this as, completely hide in your room, eat all the junk food in your house, and isolate yourself from the world. But go out and do something that you know you love to do. Every time you bond with yourself you are building a stronger connection which will make you grow strong and confident.

As you mature and grow into adulthood, it is so important to have confidence. Not only will it make you stronger but it will make you fearless and you WILL achieve whatever you put your mind to. And what many people lack to see is that the beginning of growing into a confident person begins with feeling alone because it gives you the time to really discover yourself and what you love about yourself. Being alone allows you to embrace your flaws rather than ignore them. You learn to accept what you have and become more thankful all from just spending time alone.

Recently I discovered a quote on Selena Gomez's rib cage that really stuck with me and that is "love yourself first".

How are you supposed to love someone else if you don't even have that connection with yourself?

In order for someone else to love you, you need to be able to understand WHY they love you. Maybe not all the complexities of it, but at least know why you are special to them and what makes you special to everyone else.

Try the gym. I wonder how many of you will stop reading because there are one too many articles that are encouraging us to go to the gym. That would've been me two weeks ago. But there is way more to the gym that people portray it to be. The gym isn't about getting the summer body you've always wanted. I mean that could be one of its perks, but its more about getting healthy. Not feeling guilty when you accidentally finish an entire package of Oreos (of course try not to for your own health). It's about being able to forgive yourself. The gym is one of the best places to spend time with yourself.

Recently I have learned once I get my music on volume ten and my body sweating, I don't care what anyone else is doing besides myself. It gives me time to work towards something and to feel good after I have achieved it. The thought of going to the gym used to be worse than Sunday Scaries for me, but now to get rid of my Sunday Scaries I go to the gym. It gives you a break from school or from just sitting in your bed feeling lonely. You could go for as long or as little as you want. You can take as many breaks as you want. Just push yourself to go, because that is the hardest part.

After only two weeks of pushing myself to get to the gym 4 out of 7 days of the week, I can already notice differences in myself, not in my body, but my mental state. Things I would've never connected with going to the gym. I don't feel so insecure. Sure, my body might not change overnight, but the soreness makes you feel like you worked hard at something and achieved it. It gives you the courage to get up and go again. I don't guilt myself anymore after I eat a cookie while watching a movie. And I even look forward to going to classes just because I am slowly gaining the confidence to speak up and voice my opinions. I used to walk into classes thinking "oh she's so skinny" or "I wonder if I am skinnier than her". But now I am just content with myself and I don't care who's the skinniest in the class or who's the prettiest in the class, I am just happy to be there. Once you get into healthy habits, your mood changes and you feel fresh. I promise.

So, the ultimate cure to loneliness is loving yourself and embracing your flaws.

Once you master the skill of learning to be confident, you will stop having FOMO and start DYOT (doing your own thing, let's make this a thing). You will realize it's okay if you want to skip a weekend or a month of going out. In fact, maybe you will learn that you like watching movies with your friends more than going to the bar. It's just important to find those friends who feel the same way. Don't feel pressured by everyone to go out and just be okay with staying home. Look forward to hanging out with yourself rather than feeling bad for yourself.

Wake up every morning and tell yourself you're beautiful. Start the day by making your bed. Push yourself to make yourself happier and healthier. Go beyond what you think you can achieve. Then the little things, like missing a Friday night out, won't feel so hard. And once you are able to take on the world, that's when you'll know you've conquered the key to life; loving yourself.