The Ultimate Guide To Starbucks Lingo

The Ultimate Guide To Starbucks Lingo

We have all been there; standing in line at Starbucks, looking at the menu, sweating profusely and having an internal conflict.

6691
The Ultimate Guide To Starbucks Lingo
Whitney Todd

We have all been there; standing in line at Starbucks, looking at the menu, sweating profusely and having an internal conflict. Finding what you want is one thing, but being confident in how to say it correctly is another problem.

It’s’ a whole other language. I believe that you should be able to put this on your resume to appeal to companies. If you can speak Starbucks, then you can fetch them coffee. If you can speak Starbucks, it is one less thing to worry about.

If you don’t know how to speak it, here is a little run down of the things you need to know in order to not hold up the line.

Sizes: they do not use small, medium, large, etc. If you speak Starbucks, you will say tall, grande or venti. Here is the rundown:

For the hot cups:

Short 8 oz cup = extra small

Tall 12 oz cup = small

Grande 16 oz cup = medium

Venti 20 oz cup = large

For the cold cups:

Tall 12 oz cup = small

Grande 16 oz cup = medium

Venti 24 oz cup = large

Trenta 30 oz cup = extra large

Coffee

I am not going to lie, coming to college I was nervous because I didn’t like coffee. But everyone looked so cute and professional while holding the coffee cup. But let me tell you, as soon as you have to study for your first test, you will need coffee like you need air.

I still can’t do black coffee, but if you need a pick me up, you will learn this terminology fast.

Cafè Latte:

20% Espresso, 60% Steamed Milk, 20% Milk Foam at the top

- Vanilla Latte = vanilla flavoring

- Pumpkin Spice Latte = Pumpkin Spice flavoring

*Can be iced or hot

Mocha = Chocolate flavored

- White Chocolate Mocha

*Can be iced or hot

Macchiato:

-50% Espresso, 50% Foamed Milk

- Carmel Macchiato = added vanilla syrup and caramel sauce on top

*Can be iced or hot

Cappuccino:

Foamy Milk and espresso

Americano:

Hot Water, 1 shot of Espresso

Teas/Refreshers

Chai Tea Latte:

Starbucks Chai Concentrate, Hot Water, Steamed Milk

*One of my favorites

- Dirty Chai = Chai Tea Latte with an added shot of espresso

Chai Tea = tea without the milk

English Breakfast Tea

Green Tea

Earl Grey Tea

Strawberry Acai:

Strawberry (acai) Flavors, Green Tea

Frappuccinos and Other

Frappuccino = line of iced, blended coffee drinks.

- coffee or crème base, blended with ice and other various ingredients, topped with whipped cream and sauces

Hot Chocolate

Tips and Tricks

Skinny = nonfat milk and sugar-free syrups

Blonde = a different kind of espresso bean, it is a bit sweeter than regular espresso

Latte = added milk

How to order:

1. Size (Tall, Grande or Venti)
  2. Ice or Hot
  3. Drink
  4. Special notes (with nonfat milk, skinny, hold the whipped cream, etc…)

Example: I would like a grande iced caramel macchiato with nonfat milk.

Whitney’s Favorites:

• -Chai Tea Latte with nonfat milk
  • -Iced Vanilla Latte with nonfat milk (sometimes blonde)
  • -Iced Caramel Macchiato with nonfat milk
  • -Iced Cinnamon Dolce Latte with nonfat milk
-Strawberry Acai Refresher
  • Pink Drink = Acai Refresher with Coconut milk

It’s intimidating for sure, but once you know what you are doing, you can fully enjoy the comfort a Starbucks drink gives you. I give credit to Starbucks for my papers, my exams and my sanity.

No more panic attacks in line, no more anxiety once you are about to open your mouth and no more second guessing if you actually ordered what you think you did. Consider this blog a duolingo lesson, you can know speak Starbucks a little better.

Before you know it, you will be fluent and customizing your drinks but we will cross that road when we get there.