Do What You Said You Would Do

Do What You Said You Would Do

A lesson I've learned about integrity.

72
Do What You Said You Would Do
Tayler Davis

When I was a sophomore in high school I took a chemistry class that changed my life, and not because I loved chemistry. I had a teacher that influenced my decision in becoming a teacher, and he taught me a lesson I will never forget. This educator that I and many others had the opportunity to learn from was sure to establish that we learned something else among all the chemistry. He would say repeatedly, and often sing as well: “Do what you said you would do, the way you said you would do it, when you said you would do it.”

This little melody has been stuck in my head ever since and I think now more than ever I want to apply it to my life. Having integrity in everyday actions and choices is something that everyone can learn from. In a world where some political leaders are in stark contrast to an individual with an integrity, I want to be conscious of how to start from the inside and work out, and be a moral leader.

Every day in school, with friends, family and other ongoings, I sometimes (more often than not) want to put things off, and not adhere to the “when you said you would do it” part of the saying. In this way, I am not being active in intentionally being present in those life situations. However, it is something I want to work on. If I have integrity in my school work, put legitimate effort and care into it, have integrity in myself, and show respect, love and honesty to friends and family at all times, in the workplace, in church and at the gym, there will be an outward change in integrity. Always following through on promises to not only one’s self but to others as well is crucial, for there are places where a choice can be made to show integrity or to take a different road. Sometimes the path of integrity might be more difficult, strenuous, or maybe even awkward, but in the long run taking the high road will pay off.

Being honest with one’s self with good practice can also begin to reflect positively outwardly to others as well. Making promises to yourself and following through on them feels great, and it is important to not put internal goals and promises on the back burner. It also goes alongside with not saying I can or will do things that I won't be able to handle or deliver on; pushing too far could create a situation where I have to go back on what was said, and it is so important to be the person and to surround yourself with people who you can trust who will do what they said they would do.

I love the saying I learned from my teacher years ago because it taught my classmates and myself not only what it means to have integrity, but commitment, honesty and respect as well, and I think this is a great way to working on one’s own goals and is something we as human beings should be sharing with each other every single day.