Do Re Me, The Influence of Music and Me

Do Re Me, The Influence of Music and Me

You Are the Music in Me

23
Do Re Me, The Influence of Music and Me
Alan Downs

We all have our favorite bands, singers, and songs. Not everyone has the same favorites but, everyone can agree on one thing, the role it plays in our lives. Music is everywhere. It's in movies, it's playing in your favorite coffee shop, it's playing when you hard core type your papers, and it's playing when you are on a road trip. Music plays such an important role. Music can make us feel emotions, remember a time or thing that happened in our life, and it can connect people in so many ways. Music is the universal language.

The various genres of music connects people with others who share the same love for that type of music. It can create friendships and relationships, and it can make a moment of time more memorable. Going to concerts is a great way to meet people and have fun. It's a time to create memories and forget about the craziness of the world for a few hours.

Music has played a tremendous role in my life. My first concert was Styx, when I was only 5 years old. Since then I have seen a total of 25 different artists and bands in my 19 years of my life (that doesn't include seeing Styx nine times). My parents are HUGE classic rock fans so, I was raised right. They've taken my sisters and I to some of the best concerts; Def Leppard, Joan Jett, REO Speedwagon, Journey, Rick Springfield, etc. By going to those concerts, we have created memories together and whenever a song from some we've seen comes on the radio, we always say "UGH! That was amazing! Remember when..."

Along with all those concerts came bragging rights.

When my twin sister and I were middle school aged, we joined band. We both played flutes and loved it. Learning something new and playing beautiful songs made me feel confident and part of a larger, important group. When high school came around, we stuck with band and had some of the best memories in band. Our band director was one of the best people we knew. He pushed us and was serious, but he had a comical side and was a bit of a savage when some one ticked him off. He was entertaining and helped everyone become the best of themselves. We were one of the best bands in southern Wisconsin and marched like no other. (shout out to Mr. Janssen!)

My love for music has grown over the years. There is music for literally everything now and you can make playlists for everything. I have such an odd music taste. I love Alternative music, classic rock, swing/jazz, some pop, and musical music (like Chicago or Newsies (1992)). Since I listen to swing/jazz, my parents think I'm an 80 year old stuck in a 19 year old's body. I like my Ella Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra.

Each genre I listen to seems to put me in some kind of mood or I specifically listen to a genre of music when I'm doing something. When I want to chill or relax a bit, I'll put on some jazz. When I'm working on homework, it'll be alternative. When I'm on a road trip, driving, or really want to bang my head and go crazy, I'll play classic rock. Most of the time, it depends on the mood I'm in.

Anyway, have you ever heard a song and really, really listen to the lyrics? Some lyrics to songs can be pretty deep, messed up, or simple. The meaning behind each song can be interpreted in many different ways or, just one way. The meaning of the song and the make up of the song can also create an emotion or feeling. The tempo and notes of a song can have us create a powerful response or make you think of where you could use that song in your life. Songs can also give us inspiration to do something or create an idea or something else.

With all that in mind, what does music mean to you? How has music changed over the past 50 years or more? There is so much that goes into creating music and appreciating the complexity of it all can make our lives seem much simpler. Although there is a lot of conflicts in the world, music is one thing that brings everyone together and forget about the complexity of life.