Do People Actually Enjoy "The Bachelor"?

The ridiculous guilty pleasure on TV has ended, it's time to reevaluate if viewers who watch it are actually serious.

78
Source: ABC News

As fans of "The Bachelor" are getting over their finale hangover this week, we start to question ourselves about one thing - why do we watch this show? Is Nick really attractive? Do we really trust this guy after approximately 500 attempts at love in this show? To be honest, I still believe that Ben Higgins is one of the best bachelors of the show. However, "The Bachelor" has been on the air for 15 years; a show with such a ridiculous idea of women fighting over one dude is too good to be true. In recent seasons, we've been introduced to girls like Oliva and her big mouth in season 20 and most recently the greatest napper, Corinne. You begin to wonder, where these women were before "The Bachelor" and if they really are as extravagant in person.

I still miss Shark Girl.

I'm guilty, I've watched at least one season of "The Bachelor," but I merely watch this show for reasons we don't want to admit. Whenever my roommates and I tuned into ABC on a Monday night with our brackets - before Bachelor Fantasy League was a thing. You see, my roommates and I simply watch the show, to make fun of it. It may sound ridiculous, but it would make sense if you watch "The Bachelor" for any reasons besides being serious about romance. You see, each season is more complex than its appearance as a dating reality show; in my perspective, I see "The Bachelor" as a comedy series. Did I mention that I don't consider "The Bachelor" a reality show? We are very familiar with reality TV being scripted, as TV producers urge contestants to develop their personalities and if anyone disagrees, they are eliminated in the first 3 weeks.

The truth is that anyone with some rational sense can see through the show's idea of romance, and mostly we watch for the contestants and their antics; or just to scream at whoever the Bachelor is -- where 87 percent of the time, we get mad at Nick. It could be a bias, but every person that I know that watches "The Bachelor" don't seem to take the show seriously at all. We're very aware that a majority of the time, the end couple of each season will never last forever. Additionally, we're also aware of a contestant's overdue 15 minutes of fame after the series whether the memorable characters appear to be the next Bachelorette or even a contestant on "Bachelor in Paradise."

In conclusion, a majority of the viewers don't seem to take "The Bachelor" seriously anymore, as we're very aware of the scripted nature of the series as well as how we know that the relationship at the end wouldn't last forever. Actually, I do have a feeling that in recent years, "The Bachelor" itself has just become its own self-aware satire show, where the show's producers know about how much viewers watch simply because it's pathetic and arrange the plot around that idea.