Being A Good Person Doesn't Mean Sacrificing Your Own Needs
Friendships

Being A Good Person Doesn't Mean Constantly Sacrificing Your Own Wants And Needs

You should do the most you can for others, but you need to be conscious of your own value as well.

155
friends studying at coffee shop

It's the nicest people in the world who always seem to give too much. I notice this among my very best of friends. They're the hardest on themselves, never completely sure if they're good or kind. This is self-sabotage, no matter how you look at it.

I feel like this shouldn't be a spoiler: Caring about others is a trait that signifies a good person. People who don't care about others don't often wonder if they're nice if every action they take hurts others. They don't often rush to apologize when someone finds fault with something they do. Therefore, if you're contemplating how others feel and not disregarding it, you're probably doing good.

There's a balance that a lot of the most empathetic people in the world sometimes fail to consider. You should do the most you can for others, but you need to be conscious of your own value as well. You mean something as a person, and if you don't pay attention to your own wants and desires in tandem with others, you're doing yourself a disrespect.

It's a disservice to you and all those who care about you if you place your own needs below those of anyone else.

When someone's angry at you for something you did or said, you need to acknowledge it. It's important to recognize that you're not the one true authority on any given subject and to examine where someone else is coming from. You don't get to decide whether someone gets to be angry about something because you can't truly live in that person's shoes or embody their experiences. You just have to do your best to understand them.

Still, you must weigh the interests of others against your own. If all you do is apologize, there's a very good chance you're not actually giving the feelings of others their due weight. Furthermore, you're making yourself unhappy in the long run. People will take advantage of you, and you will let them.

Do your best to make amends, always. But never forget at the end of the day that you're a human as well and that you, yourself, need to appreciate your worth.