Do More Than March

Do More Than March

"The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters of this country. "-FDR

16
Do More Than March
123rf.com

Since the election of President Trump, there have been a series of Marches. Many of my friends, family, and celebrity favorites have been participating in such marches as a way to voice their opinions and try to make a difference. In actuality, what have these marches done other than bring attention to a problem everyone knows is already there or argue your point further? Don't get me wrong, it's amazing to see so many of the American people standing up for what is good and right when our President is going the opposite direction, but what bothers me is that I really think that people believe this alone is going to bring about great change.

How many of these people have written letters/emails, made phone calls, signed petitions giving your information, or even gone to the offices of their Representative, Senator, or other government official? Marching as one is great but it only goes so far. Unless you are also making sure that government officials know what their voters want that crowd is nothing but a bunch of people they don't know. All 100,000 people could be from a district they aren't concerned about. Your voice has officially been blended in with 99,999 other voices and your government official has no clue you feel that way. In the past 6 months I have signed countless petitions, sent about 20 personal e-mails, made 6 phone calls, have had a meeting with my Representative in Washington, and I am waiting on my next meeting in my home district. I have been to my state capitol to petition and I have participated in many marches. I'm making sure my voice is being heard because whether or not the person in office got my vote they represent me and I'm going to make sure they know what I think, want, and need.

Now, I know that not everyone has the patience or eloquence to have a face-to-face and at some points it can be difficult to find a time when your representative is available, this is why they have assistants and calling, emailing, and petitioning do not require any face-to-face contact. Be annoying as hell! They represent YOU. YOU put and keep them in office. YOU pay for the resources they use and for their paycheck. Their job is all about YOU. I have tweeted at government officials (including President Trump) and I have gotten negative and positive feedback. Whether they agree with you or not doesn't matter, the point is you are making your voice heard. You are truly standing up for what you believe and making steps toward positive change instead of sitting on your butt complaining. Going to a march is great and I encourage anyone and everyone to do that if they feel so inclined, protesting is a benefit of this beautiful country. But marching is like 1 point on a scale of 10. You want to make a difference? Give yourself 10 points and go see your Representative. Or give yourself 6 points and call their offices and give them a peaceful piece of your mind. Our government is big and powerful but they represent US, the U.S. of A!If we don't like what is happening then it is up to us to make sure it changes.