5 Things You Need To Do Before Summer Ends

Even if your summer is no longer a break, there's still a few things you need to do under the sun

9
theodysseyonline.com

As I'm sure most of you have noticed, the meaning of the term "summer" has changed from when we were kids. From preschool all the way to your senior year of high school, summer signifies the much-anticipated break from school and the majority of your responsibilities—meaning all you have to worry about is what to pack for vacation and how many series you're going to binge watch. After you graduate high school, summers are never the same. You'll most likely get a part time or seasonal job, you might move out of your parents' house (which usually means no more family vacations), and it's fairly likely that you'll be taking summer classes to get ahead and/or catch up on credits. In other words, summer after high school is no longer a time when you're free of responsibility and have a hard time figuring out what you're going to do next; summer is now an extension of the rest of the year, as it is for most adults, and it's hard to find time to have adventures and get a minute to just relax. Here are a few things, from one busy adult to another, that you have to do before the summer season is over.

1. Sleep as much as possible

Sleep is a commodity that I don't see a whole lot of. At this point you'd think it was a leisure activity rather than a part of my daily routine. It's for this exact reason that sleep is number one on this list. Take a day, maybe even two or three, and just sleep. Yeah, that's right. Sleep all day. I know for all of you busy-body types this might make you feel extremely lazy and even anxious because you feel unproductive. However, trust me when I tell you that your body will thank you for it. Rest is beyond important and when your body gets used to not having it, your metabolism slows down, your mood turns sour, and you're not able to focus on tasks nearly as well as you would have with a good night's sleep. Plan out at least one day where your calendar is completely blank and all you have to do is sleep.

2. Make a new meal

This, to me, is one of the ultimate adventures. Making a new home cooked meal is unknown territory and you'll never know where it's going to go. You start out by finding a new recipe online, something with an ingredient or combination you haven't tried before preferably, and finding a friend/family member to go on this journey with you. Then, you make your trip to the grocery store armed with a list of ingredients and your own recyclable bags. After picking up everything you need, it's time to prep the kitchen. Put on some fun music to get your mood up or put on a movie you absolutely love. This will help lighten the mood and soften the blow if anything goes wrong while preparing the meal. Next, just go for it! However the turnout of your meal, it'll be worth the adventure.

3. Have a spa day

Alright, I know this one may sound more geared towards a female or feminine perspective, but I strongly believe that spa days are amazing and necessary for everyone. A spa day doesn't have to mean painting your nails and putting on 13 Going On 30, though it certainly would for me, it can simply mean paying more attention to yourself than you have in quite a while. Clear your schedule, take a bath or a relaxing shower, wash your face, put lotion on, cut your nails, air dry your hair, make little snacks, put your feet up, and enjoy one of your favorite stay-at-home movies. Not only is this good for your body, but it's good for your mind to be allowed to unplug and de-stress for a while. The list of spa day activities that I have here is short and not complete by any means. Do your own relaxing routine on your spa day; what's most important is that you don't let anything upset you that day. If something comes up or doesn't go the way you had planned, the best thing to do at that point is let it go and continue to find ways to relax yourself.

4. Go to the beach

Going to the beach is a summer classic. If you happen to live in an area where going to the beach isn't totally feasible, pick a nearby body of water to visit and it'll be just as fun as taking a day trip to the beach. If there are no bodies of water nearby, go out to your favorite piece of nearby nature for your adventure. However, if you can go to the beach or a nearby body of water you'll need to grab a towel, some sunscreen, and a picnic basket for the ultimate short summer getaway. Water, for whatever reason, has a tendency to make people feel relaxed and carefree. Whether you're dipping your toes into the ocean as you walk along the sand or are cannonballing into your local lake, it's something unlike any other that is sure to make your summer feel more complete. Grab a meal to enjoy outdoors and bring your whole friend group to enjoy the warm weather and beautiful views with you.

5. Spend time with someone you love

As I'm sure you've noticed, in pretty much all of these tips, I've told you to do them with other people: friends or family that you would just enjoy spending time with. The main reason for this is that I know as adults, or even teenagers who have busy schedules, spending time with people you love is also a commodity. It's something that you never think about when you're young, but as you get older every second with your loved ones is a gift. Take time to be with your family, the people who love and support you no matter how busy you are or what crazy things you do. Don't forget your friendships. There will come a day when you realize you have no one to turn to and you'll wish you had fostered relationships with those people who tried to be there for you. The most valuable thing I can tell you is to not get caught up in your own world. Live your life as if it's full of people.