Sometimes, a good graphic novel is the answer to a long day. Here are ten modern graphic novels that are not only perfect for a night in but are also beautifully complex and diverse.

*in no particular order

1. SAGA by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples

Critically acclaimed, SAGA chronicles a multi-galactical family who must defeat racism, crazy robot princes, cyclopses, humanoids, and more to live their lives. The series is known for its diverse and well-rounded cast. (Rated R)

2. Deadly Class by Rick Remender and Wesley Craig

Marcus Lopez goes to a school for assassins. No one is safe at school, and he realizes that friendship might just save him. The acclaimed series will soon be a SyFy television series produced by the Russo brothers (Avengers: Infinity War).

3. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

An older graphic novel, Persepolis tells the story of Satrapi herself growing up during post-Iranian revolution. As political as it is, the core of the story is about one girl's coming-of-age in a world that is just as brilliant as it is harrowing.

4. Monstress by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda

Liu is the first woman to win an Eisner Award for Best Writer. Monstress takes place in a 1900's Asia, where society is divided into two: the Arcanics, humans with animal parts, and the Cumaea, witch-like nuns intent on suppressing the Arcanics.

5. The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang

Prince Sebastian is a prince by day and a drag queen by night. No one else knows his secret except for his dressmaker, Frances. But Frances has her own goals, and how can she pursue them with such a secret?

6. Bitch Planet by Kelly Sue DeConnick

In a dystopia, women are sent to a "penal planet" if they do not obey the men. At the penal planet, women of all colors and shapes and ideals are forced to come together and show who's boss. (Rated R)

7. Daytripper by Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá

Bras de Olivias Dominguez from Brazil goes throughout his days like any other normal human. However, each day ends with his death. When he wakes up, it's an entirely new experience.

8. The Wicked + The Divine by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie

In this world, the gods are ever changing. Their statues are like those of super stars. There is a lot of competition and a lot of drama, and maybe a few killings.

9. American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang

On the same vein as Persepolis, American Born Chinese tells the tale of a young boy growing up as an ABC. Funny and relatable for any POC, this graphic novel means more than meets the eye.

10. Rat Queens by Kurtis J. Wiebe

Praised for its LGBTQ+ representation, Rat Queens features a vibrant cast of women who is not afraid to pack a punch...or murder for that matter.