15 Things Every College Girl Should Remember When She Ditches A Toxic Relationship

The hardest part of it is getting to a place where you can be honest with yourself.

52
Unsplash

The past year or two of my life has been a whirlwind in regard to the relationships I've ended and the ones I've started. I ended a romantic relationship that I later realized was abusive, I learned to let go of unhealthy familial relationships and friendships, and I'm still learning how to have a healthier relationship with myself.

More importantly, aside from letting go of toxic relationships, I've learned how to start investing in energizing, healthy relationships that enhance my life. I found a partner who empowers me to be whole, I started putting more effort into the good relationships I have with family and friends, and I realized the importance of taking care of my most important relationship: me.

But the road to leaving toxic relationships isn't easy. It takes strength and perseverance. The hardest part of it is getting to a place where you can be honest with yourself and how the relationships in your life impact you.

I, myself, still have a lot of work to do, but there are some key learnings I've realized along the way:

1. You can't make someone love or like you, and it's not your responsibility to

2. Their mistake is not your fault

3. If your partner can't be the person you need them to be, someone else will

4. Lifelong friends are the ones who have your back regardless of wherever you are in life

5. Surround yourself with people who join you in celebrating your wins and mourning your losses

6. It's not normal for a person to make you cry every day

7. You shouldn't have to change everything about yourself for someone

8. Love yourself the way you want to be loved

9. Love others the way you want to be loved

10. Energy put into fighting senselessly with someone is wasted energy

11. How friends treat you has a bigger impact on how you view yourself than you might think

12. Call your family more

13. Honestly ask yourself—does my relationship make me feel good about myself?

14. If they can't handle you at your highest and lowest times, they don't deserve you

15. Life will go on, and everything will be okay, even if it doesn't seem like it