Dissecting New Taylor: Why She Doesn’t Give A Damn About Her Bad Reputation!

How the Snake Queen embraced all the bad publicity and redeemed herself by reclaiming all the hate.

69
Taylor Swift

On August 18, 2017, the world was confused because every single one of Taylor Swift’s social media accounts were cleared including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and her website. Amongst the week long confusion, Taylor Swift began posting cryptic videos on her Instagram. Each day, a new video of a scaly body part appeared and the videos were finally completed to form a snake. Later that day, Taylor announced a new song and album. The next day, she revealed a lyric video on her Vevo called “Look What You Made Me Do.” Her lyric video is the most viewed lyric video in 24 hours.

Taylor Swift gave a world premiere of her music video at the VMAs. This year’s VMAs was hosted by Taylor Swift’s enemy, Katy Perry. Taylor Swift did not, but her presence was strongly there. Not only did her video for “Look What You Made Me Do” premier, but her duet with Zayn Malik “I Don’t Wanna Live Forever” won Best Collaboration. This was her only nomination for the 2017 VMAs, and the duet was her only song last year. Katy Perry lost all five of her VMAs nominations. Katy Perry also sadly had very poor reviews, from celebrities like Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo, for her hosting skills and lip-syncing.

Many celebrities have insulted Taylor by calling her a "snake." Kim Kardashian started the trend by leaking video of Taylor giving permission to Kanye West to use the lyrics “I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex, Why? I made that bitch famous" in his song “Famous.” The music video also featured a fake, naked Taylor Swift in bed with him. Taylor posted on Instagram that she was upset that she was called ”that bitch” and was included in a “narrative” that she wanted nothing to be a part of. Taylor is referring to how she was always linked to Kanye ever since he interrupted her in during the 2009 VMAs.

Her music video for “Look What You Made Me Do” also broke the record for most viewed Youtube video in 24 hours. On Spotify, Taylor's newest song also broke the record for most listened to song in 24 hours, with 8 million plays. The music video throws shade at celebrities she has feuds with. Here is my dissected analysis of “Look What You Made Me Do.”

In the first scene, a tombstone says “Here Lies Taylor Swift’s Reputation” which refers to her new upcoming album title and how she faced lots of bad publicity last year. A zombie version of Taylor then crawls from the ground. This can be a reference to Katy Perry’s diss track about Taylor Swift called “Swish Swish,” with the line “Another one in the casket.” Taylor’s song also contains the line “I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time” in response to Katy Perry. A tombstone in the background also says “Nils Sjoberg” which was the pseudonym that Taylor used when she co-wrote "This Is What You Came For" by Calvin Harris. Calvin Harris, her ex, had a Twitter rant about Taylor claiming that he did not credit her for the song and background vocals. Zombie Taylor then buries Met Gala 2014 Taylor Swift.

Next scene features Taylor in a bathtub full of jewelry and a single dollar bill. This refers to Taylor counter-sueing for one dollar. David Mueller groped Taylor in 2013 and sued her for $3 million. Mueller lost the case and she won her countersuit.

After the bathtub scene, it shows Taylor in a throne surrounded by snakes. Kim Kardashian infamously tweeted snake emojis and called Taylor a "snake" before leaking the video of Taylor giving Kanye West permission for the lyrics. Taylor’s Instagram was flooded with snake emojis after the video was leaked. After Taylor posted the snake video on her Instagram, she “reclaimed” the snake. Kim Kardashian had to block the snake emoji from appearing on her Instagram. On Taylor’s throne in the music video, Taylor has “et tu brute” on her chair. The line is from Shakespeare's’ Julius Caesar, where Julius says this after he was stabbed in the back by his best friend.

Afterwards, Taylor crashes her car in front of the paparazzi. Apparently, she is in cheetah print to mock Katy Perry’s “Roar” video. Taylor is seen with a Grammy, an award Katy Perry has never won. Taylor has won 10 in total and the only female to win Record of the Year twice. In the car is an actual cheetah, which references “Roar” again.

The next big scene is Taylor robbing a fake company called “Streaming Co.” Taylor wrote an open letter to Apple about how artist do not get paid to stream music. Taylor’s music was then pulled from all streaming services. She then released all her music on streaming websites, the day Katy Perry released her new album.

Taylor is then hosting a class for “Squad University” where she is teaching mannequins how to be in her squad. Many people, like Demi Lovato, hated on Taylor for having a squad full on perfect and beautiful celebrities.

Next up, Taylor with a group of male dancers wearing “I <3 TS” shirts. Tom Hiddleston was mocked for wearing a “I <3 TS” shirt while he was dating Taylor. Tom Hiddleston was so badly mocked, he had to explain the shirt in his Vanity Fair interview.

Lastly, the most iconic scene, is the new Taylor standing on top of a pile of old Taylors. There are Taylors from old music videos, world tours, and award shows. All of them are wearing iconic outfits and falling off the tower. Her song includes the lines "I'm sorry, the old Taylor can't come to the phone right now. Why? Oh, 'cause she's dead!" This explains why she deleted her social media posts, that Taylor is dead. The new Taylor reclaimed all the bad press about herself, and branded everything bad about herself. The iconic quote is “if you can’t beat them, join them.” Taylor is aware of everything bad that is said about her. Now, you can not mock her because she is in on the joke. Tweeting snake emojis does not work, because that only makes her more powerful.

Every "Old Taylor" lined up in the after song scene.

Lastly, there is an after song scene where Taylor addresses every bad thing about herself. “You Belong With Me” Taylor is surprised and Zombie Taylor calls her annoying. Taylor was made fun of early in her career for being surprised all the time after she won an award. Next, Zombie Taylor is mad for being called a “bitch.” Taylor was mad at Kanye for calling her a bitch in “Famous.” Country Taylor says “y’all” and Red Tour Taylor calls her fake. Taylor was once called “Fake Country” in 2010 for her Red album, which was labeled country but was really pop influenced. Edgy Taylor then says that country Taylor is playing the victim “again.” Taylor was hated on for playing the victim for her failed relationships, and her Katy Perry, Kanye West, and Calvin Harris feuds. Then Taylor as Katy Perry is taking pictures for “receipts.” In “Swish Swish” Katy Perry sings “And karma's not a liar, She keeps receipts.” Lastly, 2009 VMAs Taylor says that she wants to be “excluded from this narrative.” Taylor’s response to Kanye West and Kim Kardashian for leaking the video contained that line. The line was then turned into a meme. All the Taylors then scream “shut up" at Taylor, which was exactly what every celebrity did to her in 2016.

More articles about LWYMMD:

BBC

Huffington Post

The Guardian