Disq's New Song 'Communication' Is Heaven For Indie Fans
Music

It has the same laid-back, indie sound of Snail Mail with the power-pop, Mid-West, artsy aesthetic of Remo Drive.

102
Band members from Disq

From Madison, Wisconsin the band Disq (aka Isaac De Broux-Slone and Raina Bock) are finally releasing new music after a two-year gap. According to their Bandcamp, they haven't released anything new since their first LP titled "Disq 1" in July 2016, but thankfully that's changed with the release of their song "Communication." This song will be a part of their new seven-inch vinyl titled "Communication b/w Parallel" which is accompanied by the song "Parallel" and will be released on January 25, 2019, through the indie record label, Saddle Creek. This is the same label as the bands Hop Along and Tokyo Police Club.

When I listened to "Communication" my first thoughts were that it sounded as if the bands Snail Mail and Remo Drive had merged together. It had the same laid-back, indie sound of Snail Mail with the power-pop, Mid-West, artsy aesthetic of Remo Drive. In other words, I instantly fell in love with this song. In an article with Stereogum Disq names their influences as "Weezer, Big Star, Todd Rundgren, and the Beatles." The article also goes on to describe their music as "an upbeat, chunky rocker that starts out plucky and trill but upticks into a clashing, reverb-drenched 21st-century suburban breakdown," although Disq themselves only goes so far as to describe their music as "low-fi power-pop."

What really helped with my opinion of "Communication" was when I heard it alongside their music video. It has the same artsy, hipster aesthetic which is what makes it so visually pleasing. Although if all this is too calm and smooth for you I suggest you listen to their song, "The CIA," specifically from the second half on.

To judge the video for yourself you can view it here. You can pre-order their vinyl here and listen to their other music on their Bandcamp or Spotify while you wait. They are also headling a show on January 23 at the Bootleg Theater in Los Angeles, California.