How Disney Has Taught Me Some Lessons, Even At 21

Disney. Just with one word, images and songs popped into your head. There is something about Disney that most of us just love. Disney has taught many of us valuable lessons of life, and I know that I personally have learned a thing or two.

Disney movies bring back the nostalgia we all love, and, come on, if "The Lion King" came on, everyone can't help but sing "Hakuna Matata" when the scene comes on. Or "Under the Sea" from "The Little Mermaid."

Although the music is extremely catchy, and we can't help but fall in love with the characters, there is an extreme beauty in the way the stories are told. Many of us have learned life lessons from these Disney movies.

"The Lion King" definitely has taught us about learning to let go of the past. Just like Rafiki said as he hit Simba across the head with a stick, "The past can hurt, but the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it." Many of us can relate to Simba, experiencing hurt at a young age, and not sure how to learn to let go. Sometimes, it is OK to say "Hakuna Matata", and just focus on the important things in life. It reminds us of the good things in life.

Or how Mulan taught us young girls how to stand up for what we believe in. Mulan showed that women are capable of doing anything a man can do, which is completely true. Mulan showed us that beauty isn't always about how pretty you look in a dress, how pretty makeup can make you, or how marriage can make you a better woman. But Mulan taught us that what is actually beautiful is the strength of the heart, the power of love, and not in a romantic way, family love. Mulan challenged society's views of women, and proved that we women are capable of so much.

Or my personal favorite, "Beauty and the Beast," which in my opinion has taught me one of the best lessons, to learn to love yourself and to learn to love others. To understand the importance of self love, The Beast found his true love. It taught us to be more like Belle, learning how to see others through loving eyes, not to sound cliché, but "don't judge a book by its cover," Now that is one of the worse things this generation has learned too much to do. Many of us do promote self love, but there are so many people out there who are still a bit too concerned about looks, when at the end of the day they really don't matter.

Now these are some of my favorite Disney movies that I can watch every day and not get tired of. But maybe more of us should go and learn a lesson or two from a Disney movie. They are some of the best movies I have ever watched, and will continue to watch, because why not? But they are definitely movies that have taught us how to love one another, to learn how to love ourselves, and to learn that material things aren't always satisfying. Disney has taught me so much, and you can never be too old to go and watch a movie yourself.