Disney Is Not Obligated To Suit You
Politics

Disney Is Not Obligated To Suit You

Nor Are They Your Activist Headquarters

428
Disney Is Not Obligated To Suit You
LexiHanna

Disney as a whole corporation has been without argument one of the most continuously successful organizations since its beginning. The introduction of Mickey Mouse in the 1920’s started the cartoon studio’s rise to an empire. Having released more than 150 films since 1927 Disney makes its mark on people through all walks of life every time it introduces a new film, idea or ride addition to one of its several thriving parks.

As a result of its popularity Disney is easily influential in the shaping of lives as well as the way we continue to live as adults. This has definitely caused the studio to evaluate how and what they produce emanating in movies that are exceptionally inclusive- racially and in regards to sexual preference. This has also resulted in unnecessary and often unfair backlash of what is featured in movies and parks or lack thereof. In the last two years they received complaints of racial appropriation in reference to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride and the conception of Disney character Halloween costumes (I.e Moana, Jasmine, Pocahontas to name the most seemingly controversial). Despite the inclusion and accuracy of the movies and characters Disney cannot seem to escape backslash or unfair complaints. They have been pinpointed by self-proclaimed activists, attacked to no end for various reasons. Most recently activists have pushed for Disney to create a Princess who gets an abortion under the grounds that “girls should know that what happens to their body is their choice at a young age, and abortions are okay, not disgraceful.”

Disney is not your social activism headquarters. We do not “need” a Disney princess who gets an abortion. That is absolutely not a necessity. The message behind it, sure. Yes girls should learn that it is not a crime to abort if you need to. But girls as young as four who look to Disney princess as role models do not need to be exposed to the decisions and problems of teenage-adult aged girls. Learning to make your decisions and being open to different lifestyles is something we should learn young. Being told abortions are reasonable when you are not even old enough to run into such a problem is not. Informing girls and lessening the fear of judgement that comes with needing an abortion is something we definitely should be doing. Encouraging abortions through influential films aimed at a younger fan base is something we should not be doing. It is much too intimate a topic for a young girl to learn about through a mass-produced movie in an impersonal setting.

Disney has created racially inclusive Princesses, included a lesbian couple in the Bee movie and continue to produce forward-thinking and accepting films. Disney studios is changing with the times and contributing positively to the growth and exposure of children to real life problems and lessons. Suggesting a Princess who gets an abortion is a step too far and an unnecessary one at that.