Discussion with Shamayun Miah about The Rohingya Crisis

Rohingya Crisis

1374

We spoke to Shamayun Miah about the Rohingya crisis.

Shamayun has been involved in charity activities in Bangladesh for the last ten years, helping local communities build infrastructure for clean water.

The Rohingya refugee crisis, which is among the largest, fastest movements of people in recent history. The Rohingya Muslims are the most oppressed ethnic groups in Myanmar.

Republic of the Union of Myanmar

Myanmar was formerly known as Burma. The country is located in Southeast Asia. Myanmar is bordered by Bangladesh and India to its northwest. Myanmar population is 54 million and is a predominantly Buddhist country. The Muslim Rohingya are a population of one million. The Rohingya Muslims are one of the many ethnic minorities in Myanmar. The government of Myanmar denies Rohingya citizenship and has excluded them from the 2014 census. The government does not recognise Rohingya Muslims as the people of Myanmar.

Rohingya Muslim genocide

The Rohingya Muslim genocide is a series of ongoing persecutions by the Myanmar military. The genocide started in October 2016 to January 2017 and later in August 2017. The deadly crackdown by Myanmar's army on the Rohingya Muslims resulted in hundreds of thousands fleeing across the border into neighbouring Bangladesh. Initially, 600,000 ethnic Rohingya fled Myanmar into Bangladesh in less than ten weeks. Some of the displaced Rohingya report that Myanmar soldiers systematically killed civilians, sexually assaulted women and girls, and burned their homes. The United Nations Council has confirmed these accounts. The United Nations described the situation as a "textbook example of ethnic cleansing". In January 2020, the United National court instructed the Buddhist majority government to stop the violence against the Rohingya Muslim community.

According to the United Nations, by the time the summer monsoon season struck Bangladesh, the nation had already absorbed almost 880,000 Rohingya refugees. According to the Bangladesh Foreign Ministry, 80% of them are in 21 camps.

Many of the refugees in Bangladesh often face difficulty in obtaining citizenship and in accessing public services. Rohingya Muslims refugees living in Bangladesh are the most vulnerable group of people in the world. Weather instability, civil strife, and disease outbreaks are all threats to their lives.

The devastating fire in Cox's Bazar

Thousands of Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh's Cox's Bazar area were already uncomfortable and vulnerable due to lack of food, clean water, monsoon rains and regular seismic shakes. On March 22, a fire started in the afternoon in the refugee camp Cox's Bazar. It had a devasting impact, destroying thousands of homes, killing over a dozen people, injuring over a thousand people. The devastating fire displaced thousands of people in the Rohingya refugee camps. Many children have been displaced from their families. The UNICEF child protection personnel and the various NGOs are working to help children and families.

While large-scale evacuations have taken place, the full extent of the disaster is yet to be confirmed by the Bangladesh authorities. The impact on the refugees is likely to cause further financial and humanitarian disasters in Bangladesh and the surrounding area. Because of the numerous hurdles they experience, including their legal status, financial aid, and lack of access to schools, Rohingya children have historically had trouble acquiring an education.

Thousands of children are without shelter. They are living in harsh conditions that are putting them in danger. UNICEF is on the ground in Bangladesh, assisting the government and partners in delivering life-saving goods and services to Rohingya refugees.

Similarly, according to Save the Children and the Children's Defense Fund (CDF), the number of children in danger of dying is skyrocketing. It is merely the result of the surge of violence and genocide.

The World Food Program warns that children in the Rohingya population are at risk of death over the next six months. The warning comes one month after the UN warns of the "extreme levels of acute malnutrition" in the country, in which nearly 70% of children are malnourished.

As a part of the largest ever emergency response in the history of the UN, the United Nations World Food Program is delivering emergency food, emergency protection, and emergency life-saving healthcare; however, this is not enough.

The people there need our help, and we can help them financially through donations. If you would like to get involved or help by giving donations, please visit any of the following websites, Save the Children, Muslim Hands UK, UNICEF or Muslim Aid.