My Disappointment In The Newest Youtube Ad Campaign

How Youtube Music could've done a better job breaking Asian stereotypes.

10
Youtube

Anyone who uses Youtube has probably seen the latest ad campaign released by Youtube Music. The campaign consists of five short videos each featuring different individuals of varying backgrounds. If not, here are the links to view:

Alex's Theme was a very quiet, yet powerful demonstration of gender fluidity but still left a lot open to interpretation.
Tina's Theme featured an unlikely character. Ex-cons are not normally people to be praised or spotlighted but they’re still people. And Afsa's Theme which was definitely the most striking for me personally, was all about showing people that the whole “terrorist” stigma stuck to Middle Eastern culture and image is ridiculous. And where ad campaigns for music usually feature a more upbeat setting, Kristen's Theme depicts the more emotional side of the spectrum that music can make us feel.

Immediately this ad campaign peaked my interest. I was widely impressed. Each ad was unique in its own way and needless to say, extremely bold.

In general it was a very simple and succinct way to showcase how music is universal and a reflection of expression and individuality. No matter how different we all are, music binds us.

But I must admit, and this is just one girl's opinion, but I was honestly disappointed in Jasyn’s Theme. And here’s why.

So, in order to rid of a stereotype, the key is to normalize it, right? Then how come this whole ad just didn’t seem out of the ordinary when I watched it?

The Music Choice:

This ad features a Korean rap freestyle, which is fantastic. I applaud this. It’s the only ad that acknowledged music in a different language out of the set and judging by all the hateful comments about how people can’t understand what the rapper is saying, the reality check that music in other languages actually exists is much needed.

But, I suppose my complaint is, I immediately questioned the choice of main character. Unlike in Afsa’s video, where there was a "crossing of cultures", they had an Asian kid listening to an Asian song. It’s not really something out of the ordinary, and honestly I guess it furthers the notion that only Asian people would listen to this kind of music.

The All-Asian Cast:

My second criticism is the choice in supporting characters.

The beginning of the ad has Jasyn on the train, making eye contact with an elderly woman, and immediately fixing his posture. I suppose this is meant to allude towards overarching Asian respect of authority/elders?

Later on he runs into what seems to be Asian “thugs” and he stops short. I’m going to assume the intimidation factor is similar to that on the train, but instead he chooses to confidently move forward, and they clap him up in respect.

Cool. Plot line on the surface level checks out. But, then I watched the ad again.

All except for one of the thugs seemed to be Asian. The elderly woman was Asian. There is only glimpses of people that weren’t Asian. So this ad is basically an Asian kid listening to Asian music, interacting and being accepted by strictly Asian people.

It’s confusing. Going back to the concept of “normalizing” that I mentioned before, if the point of the ad was to get more exposure for the music and make it more accepted in America, then this ad was a miss rather than a hit, because there wasn’t a display of any kind of inclusion here. If this was an ad geared towards attracting Asians towards the app, then sure. Show em a bunch of Asians using the ad in an Asian setting with Asian music and I guess they’ll be able to relate.

But, I’m going to just go on a limb here and say just because this ad is coupled with four others that are so bold in attacking stereotypes and “taboo” topics of identity, this one seemed to play it way too safe and it seemed lazily thought out in comparison, and honestly that’s disappointing.

The Hard-Core Factor:

A lot of reviews on this ad campaign praises this ad for showing that Asians can be “hardcore”. That’s great. I’d love to see more Asian-American rappers and action movie-stars and athletes.

But if that was the point, why was a child used? The dynamic of a young individual trying to be accepted by the cool, older guys can bring more of a reaction of “that’s adorable” rather than, “this kid is so hardcore”. And that reaction is even more so likely simply because it’ll be older people watching this ad, making that aspiration effect completely left out.

Alternatives:

Common attempt at making Asians seem hard core involves putting them in some sort of “kung-fu master martial artist”, so I appreciate the attempt at something different. But, this ad really could’ve gone so many other ways.

The stereotype that Asian men aren’t portrayed as “sexy” in the media could’ve been tackled by having an Asian male teen checking out a couple girls while listening to some Trey Songz or another sultry artist. Or even, I’d have loved to see an Asian girl listening to some rap to show how “hardcore” Asian women can be as opposed to hyper-sexualized or meek. Or again, how about just NOT using an Asian as a listener? That notion alone would vouch for how hardcore Asians are because that Korean rapper goes in on that track!

Conclusions:

Thanks for trying, Youtube Music. I whole-heartedly say that I love the thought of Asians being included, but I’m sorry. I can’t deny that it came off a little less thought out than the others.

You’re all definitely on the right track, though. Keep it up!