10 Things Every Ex-Cheerleader Can Relate To, Even 10 Years Later

The diary of a retired cheerleader.

704
Personal Photo

Just when you think you've moved on, a binge-worthy cheer documentary comes on Netflix and brings back all the feels of the glory days.

1. Your wardrobe still consists of competition T-shirts and spandex. 

Let's not kid ourselves, we all begged our parents for that must-have competition T-shirt that was probably never worn, and we had no shortage of Nike Pros and big sparkly bows either.

2. You practice made-up stunt sequences in your kitchen.

Oh, the distant dream of being a top-girl... this is for my all girls who were always under the stunt. I know y'all can relate to this one.

3. The "Bring It On" movies were essential to your childhood.  

For some of us, the "Bring It On" movies were what inspired our passion to be cheerleaders ("This is not a democracy, it's a cheerocracy!"). If you didn't sit in front of your TV learning the Clovers' iconic cheer choreography, are you even a cheerleader?

4. You get frustrated with slow walkers. 

After hearing "WALK WITH A PURPOSE" for six years, I'm pretty sure you'd be frustrated, too.

5. You probably have a few undiagnosed concussions (sorry, mom!).

We all remember attempting a complicated stunt for the first time, trying not to close our eyes or flinch at the thought of a foot coming to our face. Which, most of the time, ended up with a foot or elbow to the head instead. The only thing worse than getting injured is getting benched and that's fact.

6. You're highly competitive, always.  

We are legitimately trained to perfect every count of a routine in hopes of earning the highest score. So, do you blame us? Watch out family game night!

7. You have years of hair damage (RIP, cheer poof... you won't be missed!).

The teasing, the hairspray, the bobby pins, oh my! The infamous triple threat to every cheerleader's comp-day hair. Throughout the years, I'm pretty sure I inhaled at least two cans of hairspray and ripped out half my hair trying to comb it after competing. But you know what they say, the higher the bow!

8. You still remember your entire winning routine. 

You all know that one ex-boyfriend or girlfriend you just can't shake? That one winning routine is basically like the one that got away.

9. Your ex-coaches name in your phone is still 'Coach.'

The bond between a coach and their athlete is nothing short of remarkable. They know your strengths and weaknesses almost better than you do — except they actually get to call you out on it when you're slacking.

To my coaches, thank you for always pushing me to be my best. This ex-cheerleader couldn't have done any of it without you.

10. You would do absolutely anything to perform one last time.

Although the glory days are now nostalgic memories and in the past, I would do anything to experience a competition, parade, game, or even a practice again. Cheerleading has taught me how to be a leader, work with others, and problem solve.

Even though my lower back hates me for it, I love this sport and always will.