Why A Crossover Between Dexter And Justified Needs To Happen

A mix of epic proportions that's totally justified.

226
Showtime / FX

A Shot In the Dark (Defender)

Dexter/Justified Crossover---Dextified?

The Miami Connection

What am I talking about? Sounds odd, right? Combining the Showtime hit Dexter and FX's Modern Western Crime Show Justified A show blending a seemingly normal Miami Metro Blood Spatter analyst that moonlights as a code-driven killer and a tough as nails no nonsense US Marshall in a face off that would test each other's limits in a way that neither has ever experienced and where only one man is left standing.

Why it should happen

Well, there's many reasons this would work out. This idea has been cooking in the back of my mind for some time but now the timing feels appropriate. Recently, on Fox, there was a very random crossover between the shows New Girl and Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Of course, there's the obvious reason that both shows are on the same network, but was there a huge outcry to crossover those shows? Unlikely. Well, with shows like Dexter and Justified, fans want to see both character Dexter Morgan and Raylan Givens return and I believe having these two characters cross paths would be fresh, exciting and could make sense.

Fans of Dexter want to see the Dark Defender return. Know a Dexter fan? Ask them their opinion on how the show ended. Be sure to have tissues on hand. Yeah, it's that depressing. In the highly controversial series finale, audiences were disappointed on how things ended or didn't end, for that matter. There were so many loose ends left unaddressed and decisions that ultimately did not make any sense to the character or what the show was about. The Bay Harbor Butcher needs redemption, and above all, an ending.

On the other hand, Justified was a well-crafted show that did indeed have a well-told series ending, but left the door open for a continuation. Raylan isn't done either, a bad ass lawman like him can't just retire and go fishing. Well, he can, but he shouldn't because that's not in his nature. Raylan is an incredibly powerful character with solid emotions, which brings me to my next point. The crossover features two complex lead characters that have already been introduced allowing long time fans to continue where they're character left off. Pairing Dexter and Raylan against one another creates a great dynamic between the deeply driven but flawed killer of killers and the sly lawman who never misses his mark. In a way, it would be another revolutionary step in television by pairing off two fan favorite characters. Think celebrity death match, but told in an engrossing limited series narrative.

Another connection between the two characters is that they both reside in the City of Miami, Florida. In the Series Premiere of Justified, Raylan leaves Miami back to his hometown Kentucky and in the finale, he retired and moved back to Miami to be with his daughter. In Dexter's case, Miami is not just a location, it's a character as well. He spent 8 seasons killing people until he decided to become Paul Bunyan in the finale and move out in the woods doing lumberjack things. It's not clear where he goes in the finale, but it's not a stretch to have him return to his city.

How the crossover could go

The narrative would take place in Miami, where Dexter Morgan returns to 15 years after his "death". He is nearly recognizable due to his bushy salt and pepper beard. We flashback to his simple, secluded life in the woods. After some time Dexter was unable to keep the monsters away and can't avoid the decisions he made prior to leaving his city. He has many questions and wants to find Hannah and his son (that was last seen in Argentina). We shift to Raylan Givens, who at this time is retired from the Marshall office and tries to adjust to retired, although that has not transitioned well. In fact, he's now known for finding his way into investigations helping out in many ways, but still sticking his nose in places it doesn't belong. He is still very much apart of his daughter's life as well. Things pick up when a wild string of murders begin to occur in Miami. Raylan observes each investigation helping out the deputies and specialists of Miami Metro. He curiously observes the same young man at each crime scene and remains suspicious.

Things turn personal for Raylan when an attack involves his daughter, who manages to get away safely and illustrate the intruder being the same young man that Raylan has kept seeing. Raylan tracks the boy and identifies him to be, Harrison Morgan. At the same time, Dexter learns that his son has resurfaced in Miami and narrowly saves him from getting caught, but is seen by Raylan. So ensues cat-and-mouse play between the two leads, Dex trying to reconnect with his estranged son. Pieces fall together pinning Dexter as the Bay Harbor Butcher as he comes to find that Raylan does, in fact, fit into Harry's code, after all, finding out about Raylan's involvement in the murder of Nicky Augustine. Dexter will do whatever it takes to protect his son while Raylan will do everything in his power to take them both down for good.

Now, I'm just a writer with an idea. Everything I've just said is simply a push that can inspire the people that can make it happen. So showrunners (Graham Yost, Scott Buck, Clyde Phillips) call me. Give me just 30 seconds of your time and see if we can make this happen. These characters need to come back.