What's Up DeVos?

What's Up DeVos?

A look at what Betsy DeVos has done to make "America Great Again."

30
What's Up DeVos?
The New Yorker

It has been nearly 13 weeks since Betsy DeVos was confirmed to be the United States Secretary of Education despite the many protests and opposition from Democrats in Congress. Many news outlets are currently looking into Trump's 100 days and what he has accomplished so far. Spoiler alert, Trump hasn't accomplished any of his key promises he made to his supporters during his campaign. It made me wonder, what has Betsy DeVos done? After all, I'm a college student and decisions she makes will affect me, my friends and classmates, in the long run. So, let's take a look at DeVos's decisions and actions so far as Secretary of Education.

Betsy DeVos visited many public/charter schools.

On April 20th, DeVos stated in a Cleveland article that "[she] visited traditional public, public charter, private, parochial and Department of Defense schools. [She] intend[s] to visit schools of every type to see firsthand what's working - and what's not - for students across the country."

She also expresses her opinion that every student deserves a quality education and stand by the fact that public schools are the backbone of the education system and play an important role in providing quality education for students in need. DeVos wishes to work with teachers, principals and leaders to "unleash a new ear of innovation" for students.

I think based on this article, she's showing more respect toward public schools despite being school choice. However, she currently hasn't provided many plans publicly to help schools so it's a lot of talk, but nothing to show for her statements.

Betsy DeVos believes more in school-choice; therefore, she stands behind Trump's proposal in cutting $9 billion dollars in public education.

March 29th, it was reported by the New York Times that Betsy DeVos argued money doesn't fix the problem of low test scores. Her evidence to her claim was a report done by the Obama administration right before Trump took over. She showed that $7 billion was given to low-performing schools and it had little to no effect on academic results.

The Trump administration budget proposal will be more focused on charter and private schools and DeVos hasn't provided any details on how the budget will be played out and how many students will be qualified for financial aid. Critics say that this plan will devastate traditional public schools and would cost money and attendance of students.

DeVos is affecting the future for student loans.

So, for those of you who haven't graduated college yet (me) and decided during your time in college to take out a loan(s) from the government, here's what you need to know after you graduate.

You need to pay back your loan to the government (obviously) and there are companies that specialize in providing plans and guidance for graduates. However, back in 2015, some companies started to take advantage of student's ignorance of paying back a loan and would over-charge them. The Obama administration recognized this and put rules in place so companies wouldn't do that and provide rights to those students who borrowed. Additionally, they put policies in place to make repayment and customer service easier and accessible.

Then Betsy DeVos comes and guts out those memos Obama left in place, leaving 40 million students unprotected. She defends herself by stating that the contract process between the companies and Department of Education had been "subjected to a myriad of moving deadlines, changing requirements and a lack of consistent objectives. We must promptly address not only these shortcomings but also any other issues that may impede our ability to ensure borrowers do not experience deficiencies in service. This must be done with precision, timeliness and transparency."

Again, I agree that these memos have some flaws and those flaws should be fixed. However, DeVos hasn't provided any alternative plan for this situation. This is how I feel with her: she has a fair mindset and goals but she doesn't take action.

Trump gave DeVos her first project: investigating regulations between the federal government and schools for the next 300 days.

On April 27, President Trump signed an executive order to ensure that federal government isn't getting too involved in controlling state and local education. DeVos will have 300 days to review any regulations or policies that might be seen as "overstepping" the federal department bound.

Conservatives were happy to see this action toward limiting government control in schools and letting local teachers have control of their education.

Overall, DeVos hasn't done anything really significant that will make students happy. Besides the point that she will affect students taking out loans, she also allows Trump to get rid of transgender guidelines for school bathrooms. Even though she says she was against it at first, she believes that the government shouldn't get too involved in schools regulations and let the school decide if they want to have the all gender bathrooms are not.

As expected, Betsy DeVos did as much as Trump in the first 100 days—nothing beneficial.

Thanks so much for reading. As always, tell me your thoughts on all of this. I think DeVos has an okay mindset on how education should be, but she doesn't put money where her mouth is.