Does The Devil Really Wear Prada?

Does The Devil Really Wear Prada?

How the iconic drama got it right.

243
Does The Devil Really Wear Prada?
Tumblr

Every fashion-obsessed man and woman has seen it: The iconic movie representation of the fashion industry in which the shameless, diabolical Miranda Priestly unapologetically embarrasses and belittles Andy Sachs through two long hours of chronic bitchiness. Even those who couldn't care less about the industry and all of the moving pieces that make it what it is can agree that The Devil Wears Prada holds many lessons that are valuable to people of all ages and professions. But shortly after watching the film, many may find themselves questioning whether or not the glamorous world of fashion was portrayed realistically. The short answer to that question is simple — yes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not confirming the notion that while interning for less than a year at one magazine you will become assistant to fashion's top editor, acquire thousands of dollars worth of designer clothing, travel to Paris, have an epiphany and find your happy ending. I'm simply supporting the representation of the industry as a dog-eat-dog rivalry between an individual and his/her competition — which happens to be every other goal-oriented person who is fighting to find their place in this business.

Personally, I have learned more during my short time as a fashion student than I did in all four years of high school. This industry has taught me how to fight for what I want, how to make connections that will assist me throughout my career, how to apply myself and my expertise to the fullest, and countless other lessons that I will forever be grateful to have had the opportunity to learn. But looking back on all of the endeavors I've experienced so far, I will never deny one truth— it hasn't been easy.

I began my Sophomore year with the understanding that nothing is ever going to fall into your lap. Sure, you might get lucky here and there, but good things won't actually come if you do nothing but wait. Great things come to the dedicated people who get past the obstacles that attempt to hold them back, who work their asses off until they know they've made it — and then work some more.

I've learned that there will always be an Emily, someone who won't let go of the idea that they are better than all the rest. There will also be plenty of Nigels, brutally honest friends who keep you on your toes and never fail to help you gain some perspective. There will be endless MIrandas; bosses and professors who don't have time for your silly questions and make you feel unworthy of the position you worked so hard for. And I promise, amidst all of these people you'll make your fair share of mistakes and you'll learn from every one of them.

Every intern will face the intimidating glares and catty chatter of those who believe they're above them. Every stylist will face consecutive rejections, and every writer will be turned down at some point. Those who choose to break into this business will quickly realize that it's not all smiles all the time — whether you decide you don't love it as much as you thought (like Andy) or take the heat and stick around is up to you. But when it all boils down, I think we can agree to answer one question identically. Does the devil actually wear Prada?

Yes, she does— and she taught me everything I know about the brand, too.