Detachment from Desire

Can we as human beings detach from desire? Apparently we can...I mean Gandhi did it. Recently my husband opened my eyes to the concept of detachment. At first I looked at detachment as a way to stop desiring superficial and materialistic things. But after learning more about the idea of detachment, I am beginning to realize I need this shit in my life.

Detachment is a way of life that can be present in all areas, such as your career, school, relationships, etc. I learned that if you detach yourself from desires, you aren't giving up or quitting. You're actually having faith in yourself and the higher power. Yes you're still working hard and having goals, but your happiness in life is not dependent on what you achieve or what you don't achieve.

I learned that attachment is giving away your power to external forces and circumstances. In turn, you give away your power to create your own reality. This hit me hard because I feel that the reason I am doing everything I'm doing at this point in my life is because I want to be in control of my life and make my dreams a reality. Yet, I have been feeling like I have less and less control over my life. I know I have been putting too much emphasis on doing x so I can achieve y. It has definitely been unhealthy and eats away at your happiness.

Faith is the antidote for attachment. By having faith in yourself and in general is to trust that what efforts you have put forth thus far will lead you to what you need in life. Not having faith is basically choosing to not trust yourself or the higher powers of our universe.

When you detach yourself from desire you can reach a sense of calmness and especially a feeling of quiet within your mind. You truly trust your instincts, go with the flow, and ultimately achieve a state of zen. You become more in control because you do not let external factors to dictate your emotions and most importantly, you don't allow anyone or anything to control your own happiness. Your anxiety and stress levels begin to wear away.

I invite you to join me on this journey of detachment. I just started mine and I feel comfortable allowing it to guide my path.