Money-Saving Techniques For Your Destination Wedding

Lorrie Nielson of Unveiled Hawaii shares some money-saving tips to help you plan your perfect destination wedding!

1360

Destination weddings create a stunning backdrop for your ceremony. From the luscious mountains of Hawaii to the snowy hilltops of Switzerland, there is no shortage of beautiful places for couples to get hitched. However, many couples are timid to plan a destination wedding due to cost concerns. Destination weddings get a reputation for being out of most people’s budgets, but when compared with the median price of a wedding in the United States, they can oftentimes be cheaper or around the same price.

Even if you find a venue or package to be cheaper than you originally thought, it can be tempting to want to splurge on other items to make your destination wedding even more special. However, it can be easy to get carried away with this and quickly exceed your budget. Thankfully, most destination weddings already have most of the decorations taken care of. After all, it might not be necessary to spend much on extra decor when the surrounding scenery is decoration enough. Therefore, in your first attempt to cut costs for your destination wedding, it is recommended that you begin small and allow nature to do the rest of the talking.

Guests are also known to make up a large portion of the wedding budget. The more attendees you have, the more you will have to pay for catering and other guest-related expenses. Cutting down your guest list will help save you money in the planning process. You might find it easier to cut the guest list after announcing the destination wedding, as not everyone will be able to take time off work to attend or afford to fly out and stay in the area. This will give you a valid excuse to only invite immediate family and your closest friends without feeling guilty for having to cut others off the guest list. Some couples even choose to leave all the guests at home and elope in a favored destination, saving themselves a heap of money.

As you plan your wedding in your dream destination, it is also beneficial to look at the varying dates available and the prices associated with them. You might be able to get a better deal on a package if you plan your wedding in the off-season. The good news is that if you are heading from a cold destination to a tropical destination, the off-season will still be warmer than what you are used to and will fit your vision. It is, of course, important to pay attention to factors such as when hurricane season is, but planning an off-season wedding can help keep you on budget and allocate more cash for your honeymoon or even a downpayment on a house.