7-to-11 Minutes In Des Moines

7-to-11 Minutes In Des Moines

Iowa plays host to a one-of-a-kind theatre event.

10
7-to-11 Minutes In Des Moines
711 Theatre Project

A lot can happen in seven to 11 minutes. Secrets can be revealed, siblings can be reunited, leaders of different countries can come together in hopes of solving one large problem and people can go out for breakfast (in public). These, along with many other events, occurred in Des Moines during an annual theater event, 711. Des Moines is host to the 711 Theatre Project, which allows theater enthusiasts to write, direct and act in an original seven to 11-minute play, all in one week.

The week begins with a reveal of a set, character, line of dialogue, prop and genre that each troupe must use when creating their play. After one week, the troupes take the stage and perform their play for an audience and judges who select the best of the best to perform one more time in the “711 Select.”

This year, audiences were able to see plays in the genres of romance, drama, action, musical, children’s theater, thriller, theater of the absurd, memory play, mystery and iambic pentameter (Shakespeare). With such a vast array of genres the audiences were sure to see something they would enjoy, and they were able to vote on their favorite performance. Each vote was important as it brought the troupe one step closer to winning the “Audience Choice” award.

Judges chose the top three plays of the event along with several other awards including best playwright, best direction, rising star award and best ensemble performance.

A veteran troupe, The Incoherent Theatre Company, took third place with their play “The Curse of the Lost Settlers Island.” According to their website this group was founded in 2009 as a 711 troupe.

Second place went to Theatre Genesis for the romance “Adrift.” This was their first year competing in 711 and they proved themselves well to the veterans of the competition.

The Adam Beilgard Experience was also new to the competition and their absurd play “One One Thousand” took Best of Show for the 2016 competition.

With a number of new troupes and performers from young children to seasoned actors/actresses the variety of performances was vast and not something to be missed. While the performances took place May 11 and 12, 2016, do not fret. All of the performances are available for streaming on Youtube at the 711 Theatre Project page.

The project is a not-for-profit theatre organization and because of that they heavily rely on sponsorships in order to put on the event. To better help with the organization and funding for the event this year two local theatre groups partnered together. Goldfinch Theater Company and Grand View University Theatre department took on the task of creating the 2016 project.

Goldfinch Theater Company was created in 2014 and 711 was only their second theater project they have organized, the first being the play “Macbeth”. While this company is still creating their name and presence in the world of Des Moines theater, Grand View’s theatre department has been putting on plays and hosting many more for a number of years. They have hosted the 711 Theatre Project since its start in 2008, which helps attract members of the Des Moines community as they are centrally located.

As the competition is finished for 2016 the plans for the 2017 competition are underway. Troupes are being created, sets are being planned and the theater enthusiasts are cultivating their love for the stage in preparation for next year’s 711 Theatre Project.