An Open Letter To My Depression

Hey Depression, Look At Me Now

I bet you never thought I would be where I am today, huh?

367
Hey Depression, Look At Me Now
Becky Sebring

You consumed my life for months at a time, years overall, and made me feel worthless and broken. You told me lies, told me I would never be happy, and told me that I wasn't normal for feeling that way. You told me I would never amount to anything or live the life I wanted to. You told me I would be sad and alone. Forever.

But guess what: you were wrong. Now, I'm happy, living a life I love, and surrounded by people that love me. I proved you wrong. And I'm not sorry about it.

I listened to what you told me. I did. And for so long, I believed you. I truly believed I would never find love, that I would never be able to live anywhere but my house with my parents, and that nobody truly understood me. I took everything you told me to heart. I drove around my town, accepting that it would be the only place I would ever live in the future. I started planning my life around you. You consumed my thoughts and every move.

There came time and time again that I told you I had enough. Enough of your manipulative thoughts, brutal words, and unrealistic plans. I begged, pleaded, and prayed that you would just leave me alone, but you always found a way in. Into my dreams, thoughts, and actions.

I can't pinpoint a moment in time when I decided I have had enough, but I'm sure glad I was smart enough to make that decision. Maybe it was fate, maybe it was me, or maybe it was you that decided that you had put me through enough. Whatever it was, I'm thankful for it.

Although I learned from you, I'm so glad we're through. You sent me spiraling, but I hope you see that I'm so much better off without you. I pray that you have learned from what you put me through, and you wouldn't dare do that to anyone else. I hope you learned your lesson, and that you look at me now and realize that you didn't have anything on me. Because we're stronger than that.

Thanks, but no thanks.