Studying For The DAT During A Quarantine Might Be Ideal

Yeah, I never pictured myself using the words "quarantine" and "ideal" in the same sentence either.

49

The thought of one standardized test determining if I get into dental school or not terrifies me. It is also the thing that motivates me to want to do the best I possibly can on it.

Over a week into my DAT bootcamp study program now, I realized that I have had more intense dedication and focus on something than I ever have before. I don't know if it's the insane amount of pressure with the fear of failing or the no distractions, but quarantine has turned me into a devoted pre- dental student that knows how much is riding on this one test.

With not being able to see my friends or having anywhere to go with my friends or family, I have been able to establish a set routine for my preparation. Now that school is over as well, I am able to solely focus all of my attention on the DAT. Although I sometimes feel like a prisoner in my own home due to the stay at home order, I feel that it is almost ideal for me because I am forced to stay in with minimal distractions. With summer almost beginning, I would have been tempted to go just about anywhere and explore as I usually do, but I know this summer is going to be a sacrifice that is worth taking.

I know my dramatic self makes it sound like I never leave my house. Well, this isn't true. I often take walks around my neighborhood when the weather allows to do so, ensuring that I get my almost daily dose of fresh oxygen each time. I find these walks to be refreshing and calming; two things I definitely need after hours of being cooped up in my house, studying. An extra bonus is the vitamin D I get from these 20-30 minute outings. It is the perfect break I need between switching from Biology to General Chemistry for the day.

Quarantine has been an extremely rough time for most people I know, including myself. However, nothing much changes for me because this would have been what my summer looked like even without this pandemic. If anything, forced isolation results in less distractions for me and a more disciplined lifestyle that will only benefit me during these 3 important months. Even though I am going to have to give up late summer nights driving with my friends or day time parties at some random person's house, I hope the sacrifice is worth it.

Studying for the DAT in a quarantine is basically the same as not being in quarantine. The only difference perhaps is that I cannot go to the library, and I would do anything to be in a library again.

I am never taking libraries for granted ever again.