Democrats did not win this election

The Midterms Are Over And The Democrats Lost, Point Blank

Don't let the gains in the House fool you.

58
https://unsplash.com/photos/DurC25GdOvk

The Midterms are over and many are cheering the end of the campaign adds. Don't worry they will return soon for the next election cycle in 2020. However, a smaller section of those paying attention to the elections has decided to cheer for some seats flipped in Congress. And I completely disagree with this excitement.

America is dealing with a serious crisis right now. We have a Republican Party that is breaking laws left and right. And since all three branches of government were controlled by them until the end of the Midterm, there was no way to stop their choices. And that explains why so many Democrats are happy that the House is now controlled by a small majority of the Democrats.

However, I disagree completely with how Democrats feel. Yes, we got the house back. Yes, we can now to some degree combat Donald Trump and his Cult of followers. However, the states are still controlled by Republicans, notably in Florida and Texas. And it is these two governor races that I want to talk about especially.

Looking at the electoral votes that put Trump in the White House in the first place, Florida and Texas contributed heavily to that victory. And with the GOP strategy to control the states while Democrats focused far too much on federal elections, they continue to win at local levels. This means that Democrats have a constant uphill battle to win in just about everything in our current political climate.

However, what I also find alarming about what happened during the midterm is that under normal circumstances Presidents tend to lose Congress two years into their term. This did not happen obviously. This means that despite what people are clamoring, Trump is just fine in our current political climate. He is not in the danger that people hope he is in.

Worse, now that he has a new Attorney General, it is very possible that any allegations against him will disappear. All of this, of course, is with the assumption that a Supreme Court that is loyal to him doesn't just throw out any allegations that get thrown at him. The damage that the Republican Party has done to this country will take much more to undo than a small majority in the house.

Instead, Democrats need to focus on turning Texas and Florida blue on the state level to ensure that the next Trump cannot become president. We also as Americans need to remain vigilant as Fascism is taking over the world by storm. Brazil is the most recent casualty in this wave of far-right extremism. I fear what will be happening in the world as a result of these trends.

I will not feel safe in an America where Nationalists shoot innocent people or where armed militias go towards the border with the will to kill. Until these factors are curbed, I will not consider the Democrats gains to be a victory. Too much is at stake for minor victories.