Demi Lovato Will Always Be My Role Model, Even After Her Overdose

demi lovato will always be my role model, Even After Her Overdose

"Beyond her talent, Demi is honest, real and the type of role model that our society so desperately needs."

177

Demi Lovato. You may know her as the lead actress in "Camp Rock" or as a Grammy-nominated artist. Or, recently, you might know her as another "troubled celebrity" who has been in the news, especially for her new song entitled "Sober," in which she admits to relapsing after six years of sobriety. More recently, she was in the news on July 24th because of her drug overdose, where she was found unconscious and rushed to the hospital. However, she is much more than just her highest successes and lowest moments. Beyond her talent, Demi is honest, real, and the type of role model that our society so desperately needs.

For those who don't know her story, Demi has been in the spotlight starting with her role on "Barney," when she was eight years old. Then, at age 15, her big break happened with the Disney Channel Original Movie "Camp Rock." Since then, her career has taken off with albums, concert tours and multiple roles on television and in film. For over 10 years, every move she makes has been in the spotlight, which has resulted in a lot of criticism. Throughout all of this, Demi has been public with her personal struggles with addiction, bipolar disorder, self-harm, an eating disorder, as well as a strained personal relationship with her father. She has gone to rehab twice, all while still being scrutinized in the public eye.

But, instead of being private about her struggles, she has used them become an advocate for mental health and to reduce the stigma surrounding it. She has done so through her music, as well as with her recent YouTube documentary "Simply Complicated." Demi has been vocal about the reason she shares so much publicly, and that is because she wants her story to help others who might be dealing with similar struggles. She has said many times that if she has this platform from her music, she wants to use it to make a positive impact. By being so honest about her struggles, she has helped so many people. She has the courage to share her very personal truth with millions of people, and I think that is something to look up to.

Demi has taught millions of people that is OK to not be perfect. In our society today, there is an unattainable standard of perfection. Nobody is talking about any struggles, and this harmful "perfect" image is being created. And, if you admit to any struggles, that is seen as a weakness. Demi has gone against this ideal by opening up about her life and showing to us that, although she is famous and successful, she doesn't have the perfect life. She shows us that it is OK to admit you have an eating disorder, an addiction or any mental illness; it's OK to not be perfect. And, for anyone, especially women in today's society, that is so important to understand. Demi is the role model that our society needs, because she is talking about the things that nobody else wants to talk about.

Some may argue that Demi has had too many chances. She is another "troubled celebrity" who has abused drugs and alcohol on multiple occasions, and nobody should idolize that behavior. People who don't know her story might only see her for that, because that is what we hear on the news. But Demi is much more than that. She didn't choose to have an addiction, and having one does not make you a bad role model.

When I heard about her relapse, I was sad and shocked, but I was never disappointed in her. The fact that she can be so open and honest with her struggles, while still managing to help others, is something that I can look up to. Demi is much more than her struggles, and I hope for her happiness that she will get the help she needs. Demi is not only extremely talented, but she genuinely cares about people and their well-being and is an inspiration to many. I will always look up to Demi Lovato.