Deleting The Twitter App Off Of My Phone Was Liberating

I still have my account, but I needed to delete that app for my own sake.

6

Scroll, scroll, scroll. Another trending hashtag? What's new? Keep scrolling. Wow, that's rough. What are the comments? No, that's dumb. Yes, she has a point.

I did not make a Twitter account until January of this year. I personally never wanted it until I realized it's a necessity for my future career. Most of what I follow are organizations or news outlets, and that was my benefit from Twitter. I occasionally looked over at the trending hashtags, those of which I cared for at least.

A couple of months passed and I delved into Twitter a bit more than just for knowledge or fun. I found myself opening the app too much and scrolling through posts or comments too much. I caught onto my trend and started wondering what is it that made me so intrigued but also so bothered. I started thinking about a few reasons why it is not convenient for me to get stuck into this world.

My first distaste for Twitter is when I found it to be filled with hypocrites who preached about being kind to one another but then make fun of those who don't have a certain product or don't admire a certain taste. You say "eat the rich" or "treat people with kindness" but poke fun at someone's clothes, phone, house, car, etc. so long as you know that it is not someone living in poverty. I will add in here that I, in no way, believe that people are perfect. I believe that we all have a degree of hypocrisy or malice in us that has caused and will cause our wrongdoings, but it is a constant flow that comes out of some people on Twitter. There also comes this false idea from social media, in this case, Twitter, that if you don't have a certain life then you don't really have a life. That can be detrimental to anyone. Just don't make fun of someone's material possessions.

My second distaste came when I saw the invalidation of some natural feelings. I think it is great when Twitter promotes that sadness, frustration, or loneliness are natural feelings and that there is no point in telling someone that they cannot be depressed because someone else out there in the world is having a worse life. I applaud this notion. My issue came when I saw that it was as if people thought themselves to be such evolved human beings that jealousy or anger were not natural feelings when it came to relationships. Of course, there is over-the-top jealousy or severe confrontations shown, but it's uneasy to me to see people act as if some feelings are not okay when they say it's not okay. A small screenshot of a message between a couple does not tell us their entire relationship, so your first response should not - again, in some but not all cases - be "break up" and start criticizing and berating the other partner. It can be disrespectful to the couple if they are actually on good terms.

My third distaste was lighter, but I had already decided at this point to delete the app. There's this "pick me" phrase that's thrown around typically to target women who may not flow with "trends". I'll lay it out. From what I have seen, a woman points out one of their characteristics, or a style that they may not like, or anything about themselves, and then other women comment under it calling her a "pick me." There's also the comments that go "I'm not like other girls" meant to mock the tweeter. This is meant to make the woman feel ashamed and point out if she is asking for attention. I admit that I understand when it can be applicable to a situation where someone points out their own characteristics by bringing other people down. I am also not perfect. But, even when someone doesn't bring in other people, those "pick me" comments are there. I would just like to point out that by saying "pick me," you have also become a "pick me." This last point was a lighter topic, but it adds to the hypocrisy where we say be nice and accept different ideas but get offended by someone who may not be causing any harm. This is also getting offended by someone you don't know in person, probably never will meet, and did not attack you personally.

These three points do not solely define Twitter, but it's just easy to find these arguments. I acknowledge that it is a platform filled with various uses. Twitter is great for memes, jokes, news, different ideas, life tips, etc. It has it's fun to it! But to get deep into this realm is not ideal for me. If I want the news, I have email subscriptions, I go to the news site itself, and I watch the news in the evening. Now, I do get onto Twitter through my laptop but only about twice a day and just for a few minutes - enough to catch up on some things I may have missed.

Some of you may be able to control your emotions or mental health and stay on the platform. I sincerely applaud you. It just was not something for me and I can easily say that deleting Twitter off of my phone was alleviating. I noticed how much time I had been wasting and continued to pursue the hobbies I enjoyed or just watched a good movie.