A Definitive Ranking Of The American Horror Story Seasons

**SPOILER ALERT AND TRIGGER WARNING** There are spoilers in this article and there are triggers in the show!
105

American Horror Story is definitely one of my favorite shows. This is an anthology series, which means each season has a different plot line, different setting, a different set of characters, and a different set of actors as well. This series also takes major events that are important to our country's history and turns them into a psychological horror.

Currently, there are seven seasons and there is a plan for two more, one currently going through the writing process. I am very sad to see this series come to a close. I love this show so much and I love how it takes things like ghosts and vampires and aliens and turns it into psychological horror. Here is my definitive ranking of the first seven seasons of American Horror Story.

1. Season 3: Coven.

In my opinion, this was the best season. From the star-studded cast to the intriguing plot, this season kept me on my feet from the first episode all the way to the end. This season is based on the Salem Witch Trials, the Louisiana Axe Man, and Madame Delphine Laurie. I love the way that the writers were able to take these three events from different time periods and different contexts and were able to integrate them to be in the same timeline and all surround the same context. Please be warned, this season does feature gory scenes, lots of blood, and people getting burned at the stake.

2. Season 2: Asylum.

This season has a very special place in my heart. First off, Adam Levine is featured in three episodes. Second, the plot was one that made me want to keep watching every week or binge the whole season in one night on Netflix. This season is based off asylums in the 1960s. There is also an alien element, but that is a subplot. There are so many elements to this season, including religion, sexuality, references to historical events and so many more that kept my eyes glued to the screen the whole time. There are abortion and rape included in this season, so if you are triggered by those then I advise that you skip this season.

3. Season 1: Murder House.

This is the first season of American Horror Story. It eases you into the series and what is to come. This season is loosely based on the Columbine shooting that happened in the 1990s. This season also surrounds the contexts of ghosts and how they communicate with us. This season features a lot of psychological horror, abortion, and rape, so be mindful of that.

4. Season 4: Freak Show.

My favorite characters from the series, Twisty the Clown and Dandy are in this season. This season is based on the freaks in the 1950s and the freak shows that subsequently followed. This was one of the last seasons where you really had the American Horror Story feel.

5. Season 5: Hotel.

I loved this season so much, but sadly it has to be ranked low on my list. This season relied more on jump scares than actual psychological horror. Although the cast was amazing, there were many plot holes and many things did not make sense in the season. This season was based on serial killers and a hotel built by H. H. Holmes in the 19th century that was designed to kill people. This season had too many plot holes to follow it coherently, and that is why it is ranked so low on my list. There is substance abuse and kidnapping in this season.

6. Season 7: Cult.

This was the most recent season. At this point, the seasons had lost their signature American Horror Story feel and relied mostly on jump scares. I liked this season better than the sixth season but it was definitely not one of my favorite seasons. I really liked the cast though. This season was based on the most recent presidential election, cult leaders and the clown situation that came about a few summers ago.

7. Season 6: Roanoke.

This was my absolute least favorite season. I did not feel the American Horror Story vibe at all and it disappointed me so much. I did not like how every decision made by every character was based on the 10-year old girl that was in the show. Even when the situation had nothing to do with her, she still was the basis of every decision. I liked the cast but did not like the plot or the characters. I thought it was an interesting take on the show by doing a documentary embedded in the show. This season surrounded the lost colony of Roanoke.

Overall, I love American Horror Story. I feel that as the seasons go on, they are exhausting their options and have less of an American Horror Story feel. I like the later seasons less and less. I am excited to see where the eighth and ninth seasons go and I am very excited for the coven/murder house crossover that is happening in the ninth season.