A Definitive Ranking of the Best Star Wars Characters

A list of the greatest characters in the galaxy.

568
LucasFilms

It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and that is no reference to the holiday season. It’s the time of year when a Star Wars film is in theatres and all is right with the world. To honor such a momentous and special time--and as a sort of tribute to the great Carrie Fisher--I thought it would be fitting to compile a list of the greatest Star Wars characters. These are entirely based on my own personal opinion and are in no way rooted in science or statistics. In fact, when I polled my household, I received a different answer from each person. Even my sister, who has never seen any of the films, and not because of my lack of begging, had an opinion. She also asked why I refused to include Jar Jar, so that shows you how valid her opinion is. Because we have only seen them in one film thus far, characters from the Force Awakens were not considered, and Rogue One characters were omitted because I’ve only seen the movie once (a tragedy, I know). Honorable mentions are:

15. Lando Calrissian

14. Han Solo

13. Luke Skywalker

12. Grand Moff Tarkin

11. R2D2

10. C-3PO

9. Mon Mothma

8. Darth Maul

7. Chewbacca

6. Yoda

Without further adieu, here are my top five best Star Wars characters:

5. Anakin Skywalker

Say what you want about Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen’s performances, but you cannot deny that the entire narrative of Star Wars is hinged on the life of Anakin Skywalker. Everything that makes this epic saga what it is can be traced back to him. For the sake of this list, I also consider Darth Vader and Anakin the same character. The truly are one in the same in my mind, since ultimately it is the Anakin aspect of Vader that leads to his redemption in Return of the Jedi. Though some feel that Anakin is whiny and petulant, the fact remains that he may be the most human and relatable character in the saga. Plus, when Vader breathes or draws his lightsaber, we all feel a little more immersed in the Star Wars universe.

4. Qui-Gon Jinn

Truthfully, the only reason Qui-Gon isn’t ranked higher is because of his severe lack of screentime. I understand why his death was necessary for the overarching storyline, but man, what I would not give to see more of his character. The answer is nothing; there is nothing that I would not give. Liam Neeson is pure perfection in this role. He is everything you want to root for in a Star Wars movie: a lovable rogue who is also Force-sensitive and well-versed in the Jedi arts. Maybe “rogue” is a little too strong, since Qui-Gon does defer to the Council on most matters, but defiance and rebellion run in his veins just as the midichlorians he explains to Anakin do. As a kid, I can remember Qui-Gon seeming like the ultimate character. He was the Star Wars character I wanted to be in life. His participation in Duel of the Fates only added to his immense coolness as it remains one of my all-time favorite Star Wars battles. Qui-Gon truly is one of the most underrated Star Wars character.

3. Padme Amidala

Oh man… It pains me to rank her below number one, but if I’m judging them as characters, this is where Padme belongs. Spot number three is still a high honor. If you asked me for my favorite Star Wars character today, I’d answer with Padme in a heartbeat. That was not always the case. As a kid, I liked her just fine, but I found her kind of boring. I also found her politique-esque political positions absolutely revolting. I may have loved Natalie Portman from age nine, but it took me a little longer to warm up to Padme. I don’t really know what prompted the 180, but by the time I was a teenager, I would defend Padmer from any detractors. She’s a pretty awesome character: Queen by the age fourteen, fierce senator soon thereafter, strong opponent of and later fighter in the Clone Wars, architect of the Rebel Alliance, mother to Luke and Leia and arguably the lynchpin of the entire saga. She is the motivation behind Anakin’s downfall, but she is also such a force with which to be reckoned in her own right. She is definitively THE most underrated Star Wars character.

2. Princess Leia Organa

Now General Leia Organa (Solo), Leia has lots of titles. She’s a Skywalker. She’s royalty. She’s a brilliant military leader. She’s the very heart and soul of the Rebellion, a fact which would make her mother very proud. She’s Han’s romantic foil and snarky equal. She’s Luke’s twin. She is so, so many things. Complex and compelling, Leia is arguably the greatest member of the original trilogy trio. In the first few minutes of A New Hope, she is able to look Darth Vader in the face and deliver a snappy quip with little to no perceptible fear, something Han and Luke are both light years away from doing upon their first introduction. Leia never wavers in her commitment to her ideals despite enduring unimaginable heartbreak. When Padme lost Anakin, she perished from a broken heart. When Leia lost her entire home planet, she still did not give into the Empire. This is not a jab at Padme, but merely a testament to the strength and resilience of Leia Organa. She's also the one to kill Jabba and a fierce warrior despite lacking the formal training her brother has.

1. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Whether it’s Sir Alec Guinness or Ewan McGregor portraying him, there’s something constant and reliable about ole Obi-Wan. He’s the token good guy who is truly and undeniably good. He’s incorruptible and above reproach. After wanting to be Qui-Gon for about a year, I realized that more than anyone else I actually wanted to be Obi-Wan. He’s powerful, wise, kind, strategic, unyielding and unrelenting. There’s just something about him that draws the viewer. He has a compelling backstory. He’s subjected to terrible tragedy through no fault of his own. He loves Anakin despite all the evil he does. He has the utmost respect for both the Council and the Force. He trains two generations of Skywalkers in the ways of the Force. He’s just THE good guy.

So there you have it. Controversial and contentious, I’m sure, but this is my ranking of Star Wars characters by order of greatness.