A Definitive Ranking Of All 9 Star Wars Movies

Whether you love them or hate them, they have no doubt changed your life.

117
Wookieepedia

If you are like me, and you probably are, then you remember the first time you saw your first Star Wars movie.

Maybe it was the original, maybe "The Phantom Menace," "The Force Awakens," or even a random one that just so happened to be on TV at the time. Whichever of the nine, the movie changed your life, for better or for worse.

The Star Wars franchise needs no explanation, as there is no way you can avoid it. It has become a cornerstone of pop culture, and over the last 41 years has become a global phenomenon. We know Luke, Leia, Han, Yoda, and Darth Vader. We know the famous lines. We know almost every scene as if it was our own lives.

With "The Last Jedi" out for a couple weeks now and having time to reflect on it, the time is now to rank the films. To be clear, this is my list. I know many will disagree with this list, and that is okay, that what's great about opinion pieces.

Also, I do not hate any of these films, as much as people tend to hate the prequels. I grew up with them and thoroughly enjoyed them. I do realize now that they aren't as good as the superior originals. However, I would watch any of them if they were on TV. Without further ado, let's begin!

9. The Phantom Menace

Usually everyone's least favorite, and mine as well. Again, I don't hate any of these films, and I don't hate this one either. That being said, one of them had to be last. The first in the prequel trilogy introduced Anakin and Padme, as well as young Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn.

All were very easy to become interested in. Also, let's not forget one of the best lightsaber fights in the series with our Jedi facing Darth Maul. However, we can't excuse the poor CGI, some boring subplots, heavy reliance on politics, and of course Jar Jar Binks. Let's all try our hardest to forget Jar Jar.

8. Attack of the Clones

Again, nothing against the prequels, but they have to go somewhere.This was actually my favorite in the series when I was growing up, though it has lost a lot of its magic as time has gone on.

A much older Anakin and Padme provide an interesting subplot, and Obi-Wan continues to be a highlight of the series. I thoroughly enjoy Jango Fett, who restores some of the lore behind the Fett name. We also get to see Yoda wield a lightsaber. If I must fault this movie for anything, it would be poor acting and too much time spent on certain plots. This movie is wrongfully hated.

7. The Force Awakens

Before you rage quit this article, hear me out. This is a great film by it's own rights. I loved this movie from start to finish, and it is still one of my favorite movies. That being said, we can't excuse it for being a copy-and-paste of the original film.

The opening 30 minutes are some of the best in the series, maybe all of film. It is an excellent set-up for the new trilogy. Rey, Finn, and Kylo are welcome additions to the series, and seeing Han and Chewie again brings me joy. But again, it's basically "A New Hope," so I must slight it for its lack of originality.

6. Return of the Jedi

The conclusion of the original trilogy is certainly exciting. Darth Vader ultimately returning to the light side brings the series full circle. The Emperor goes down as one of the best movie villains of all-time. I even love the Ewoks, which have their own meaning behind them. It really hurts to rank it kind-of low, but that just shows how well done the series is.

5. Revenge of the Sith

The high point of the prequels is probably hated by most, but oh well. One of the things I love the most about Star Wars is the actual, well, war, and this film has the most of that. We travel to the most planets and we get to see the most battles, especially lightsaber fights. Yes, the acting is not great. But Anakin's full transformation into Darth Vader is fulfilling to me, minus that terrible cry at the end.

4. A New Hope

Ah yes, the original. The one that started it all. For that reason alone it deserves to be considered one of the better ones. The only reason it isn't higher is because it is cheesy at times and maybe not as good at story-telling as the others. But what it does well is setting up an excellent story and saga by introducing so many likable characters, good or evil. The movie is iconic, maybe only second to the Wizard of Oz. You must see this before you die.

3. The Last Jedi

Well, you either love it or hate it. I've heard arguments on both sides that are compelling. If this is last on your list, I wouldn't blame you. The director wanted this to be a divisive movie, and that definitely succeeded. I plant my flag in the "Love" camp. Rian Johnson took risks, and I respect him for that. Some of the scenes in this movie took my breath away.

One scene in particular is one of the best in all of cinema, and if you have seen it you probably know which I speak of. I can't say much since I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't yet seen it. Give this film a chance, and if you didn't like, give it another shot. This movie is deep and takes risks. Let's hope for more in the Episode IX.

2. Rogue One

Before making this list I would have told you that this was my favorite Star Wars movie. And maybe tomorrow it will be it again. This is one of the most exciting in the entire series. It doesn't get weighed down by trying to be apart of the Skywalker saga, while at the same time taking just enough from the overall story to fit perfectly in.

The new characters are just as enjoyable as the rest, though I can't say I know all of them. The ending battle steals the show though, which I could watch overall a million times if I wanted to. And let's not forget Darth Vader and the hallway scene. We all loved it, yes, all of it. It is the best moment in all of Star Wars. I mean that.

1. The Empire Strikes Back

Universally praised and almost always considered the best in the series, the second installment to come out improved on the original in every way, shape, and form. The battles and effects are better, the story is better written, and contains the greatest plot twist in movie history. I love this film, I truly do. It is one of the best films ever made. I think most would agree.