My Definition Of A College Roommate

My Definition Of A College Roommate

Whether it is her motivation, outstanding photography, or comforting feeling, she is inspirational.

28
My Definition Of A College Roommate
Luna Photography

Finding a good roommate was one of the hardest experiences for me in college. My first year, I had three different roommates, none of which turned out being my friend. This doesn't mean any of them were bad people, we were just too different to get along.

Looking back, I think my idea of a roommate was wrong. I always thought it would be like the movies where we do absolutely everything together. When I moved in that first day, I knew that wasn't the reality of it. At least for me it wasn't.

This year, I somehow ended up with the best roommate I could imagine. Angelica is not that person who is always trying to make plans to do something together. She understands personal space, but at the same time makes sure we spend enough time together.

Oftentimes we go days without talking to one another. Never once am I worried that I did something wrong because that is just how our relationship works. Between classes, work, and our personal lives, we sometimes don't even see each other. But once a week, and usually at two in the morning, we catch up on everything that has happened. Don't get me wrong, we hang out when we can, but we do not fulfill the expectation that roommates hang out 24/7. We have days that we stay in bed all day, but sometimes we decide to go out and eat a crappy meal at Birch. Or on a really good day, we may end up at the Palisades, or better yet, Webster Hall.

Another reason I could not live without Angelica as my roommate is because she let's me take up the entire room with all my stuff. If you walk into our room, all you will see is a mountain of clothes, which are my clothes. You will also see a bunch of half empty water bottles, on my desk. And there is almost always no room to even walk on those floors with the amount of things I have laying around. We also share a cabinet for our toiletries, which I take up 75% of that. She never once complained about my mess, or the fact that I leave her with no space.

Angelica is one of the kindest, and most understanding people that I have met at Ramapo College. Since the beginning, she can always tell when something is wrong, and she is always the first to try and make it better. She isn't just like that with me though, it's with everyone. She is just so down to earth, and always goes above and beyond for everyone.

Angelica is more than just my roommate, she is my best friend. Not just because she deals with my mess, or takes spontaneous trips with me, but because she is someone who makes me want to be a better person. Whether it is her motivation, outstanding photography, or comforting feeling, she is inspirational.

So to me, a good roommate is not defined about how much time you spend together, nor is it defined by how many cute pictures you have. A good roommate is defined based off the of the bond you form throughout the semester. I am not sure how I will survive next year without her as my roommate. But I know she will always just be a phone call and three hour drive (or maybe even just an elevator ride) away. This has been a really good year for me, and she is part of the reason to thank for that.