The Meaning Behind Jesse McCartney's 'How Do You Sleep?'

Jesse McCartney's 'How Do You Sleep?' Is About More Than Just A Guy Missing A Girl

We know what sleep means, but actually, there is an analytical meaning to it as well.

387
Jesse McCartney

Currently, one of my favorite songs is "How Do You Sleep?" by Jessie McCartney and Ludacris. It is from the 2009 album Departure: Recharged. I fell in love with the song when I first heard it. When I read the lyrics, it really does have some relation to how I am currently feeling.

Jesse McCartney - How Do You Sleep? ft. LudacrisVevo / YouTube

This is my first year in college. Everyone misses their friends from high school. I feel the same way as well. I have good memories with many of them. Being part of peer leadership was worth it. I met great peer leaders and freshmen. Besides them, there are also friends outside of the program that shared wonderful memories in high school as well! Maybe they are all feeling the same way about their friends and me as well. One part of the lyrics said, "See things now I didn't before, now wishin' I had more time with you." That sounds like me after I had a complete view of what college is like. It changed my perspective on high school and one of those changes was maybe I should have spent more time with my friends.

Let's not forget that this song is referred to a girl that a guy misses very much after a year from their breakup. He shows that feeling by saying that he cannot sleep and wondering how the girl sleeps. Besides my friends, maybe I can refer to this song to my crush from high school. I am not going to say the name. I think that it is best to keep this private. After all, I did not mention the names of my friends because there are so many names to list. I wonder how he is doing at college. I have not heard for him for a month. The beginning of the lyrics said, "It's been a year now. Ain't seen or heard from you. Been missing you crazy." Well, it's hasn't been a year yet since I have not seen or heard from him yet, but for now, I can keep it that way. I could have spent more time with him if I had the chance, but too bad, I have personal responsibilities and he has a girlfriend. Overall, this is my destiny.

Let's say that I have to return for my high school for a talent show. I have to sing in front of everyone that I know. If I can choose a song to sing, it would be this song. I will have some dancers and a peer leader to do Ludacris's rap in the song. If the talent show wants me to change the lyrics and direct the song to someone, it would be my friends and my crush.

In the first part, I would direct the song to my friends by changing "Ain't seen or heard from you" to "Ain't seen or heard from y'all." Also, I would change "If I had my way we would get you girl in your favorite car with the missing top" into "If I had my license I would get you all in my favorite car with the missing top." I did not have my license yet, but hopefully, I will get one this year. As for the car, I have to see with my parents.

In the second part, I would direct the song to my crush by changing "I tried my best at moving on to find a girl like you" to "I tried my best at moving on to find a boy like you." Also, there is this part of the lyrics as well in Ludacris's part, "Tryin to play harder, you got another man." I would even change this into "Tryin to play harder, you got another girl." Furthermore, there is this part of the lyrics, "That have you riding round in a drop top car (car)" into "That have you riding round in a red Ford truck (truck)." I remember that I saw him ride a red Ford truck before. I do not know if he still does, but this creation in the lyrics is just my imagination talking to me. I never thought of myself driving a truck, but maybe that will be cool if I did. I really do not know. For this lyrics, I would have my peer leader rap this for me because the original lyrics is the rap.

It's nice to fall asleep once in a while. Now, that I am in college, I cannot sleep for long. A little bit is fine, but too long is no good. I stay focused and awake throughout the first semester. When everything is done for the day and there is plenty of time to spare, I don't mind going to sleep at all. I am not talking about actual sleep, but I am actually talking about sleep where maybe we are back in the past or in a fantasy that reality cannot shape nor give to us. Whenever I hear this song anywhere I am at, I can always sleep. After reading this, you will know how do I sleep.

My question to you, reader, is: how do you sleep?