10 Deep Sea Critters You've Never Heard Of

Shedding some light of creatures that live in the dark.

259
Carbon Brief

The ocean is a diverse place teaming with beautiful and terrifying creatures. Unfortunately, many of these live in the deepest, darkest depths of the ocean where they never see the light of day and can very be seen. These are some of the sea creatures you may not even know exist.

Black Dragon

Though when born as larva they are clear, the females of this species grow up to have ink-black skin. Not only does this look super cool, but because they eat bio-luminescent critters, light won't penetrate it and let other potential prey know they might become someone's second breakfast.

Blue Ringed Octopus

Though visually stunning, be sure to steer clear of this guy if you ever see it. The venous it uses to catch and devour its prey has no known anti-venom so just swim away okay.

Goblin Shark

Very little is known about this creature because it is so rarely seen or captured. Also, it's pink! That being said, it's not called the Goblin Shark because it's cute. With its retractable jaw and a long spike attached to the front of its face, it looks quite the opposite.

Chimera

No, this is not the creature from Greek mythology, but it did get its name because it looks like it's a few animals combined in one. It's a pretty funky looking creature. These are also known as ghost sharks because of the way they look like pale ghosts wandering the depths of the ocean.

Barreleye

This fish is completely see through. So it's already pretty cool. But on top of that, it can also turn its eyes all the way around 360 degrees so it can see through itself to get a look at what's behind it. Who needs eyes in the back of its head when you're see-through?

Grenadier

If you were able to pop down to the ocean floor you'd probably see a lot of this guy because they make up about 15% of the deep sea population. This fish, also known as the rattail fish, has one phosphorous light, and it's near its anus. What purpose does that serve? Not sure.

Giant Squid

This was thought to be a myth for quite some time until 2006 when they found a gigantic squid. Its eyeball is 10 inches in diameter and measures to about 43 feet long. The largest found has measured to nearly a ton and who knows? There are probably bigger ones that we just haven't laid eyes on yet.

Vampire Squid

This one is a bit disappointing, it's definitely not as cool as it sounds. It's actually kind of a letdown. No, it doesn't suck the blood of its prey. It's got its name because it looks like it has teeth on its umbrella shaped tentacles.

Frilled Shark

This sounds relatively harmless but in reality, is named for it's backward's facing teeth. It's got 300 of them, 25 rows, and they are all trident shaped. It is also referred to as a living fossil because of its prehistoric features. It hovers through the water and may launch itself at its prey. Terrifying right?

Hatchet Fish

Don't confuse this one with a freshwater fish, also called hatchet fish, that is sometimes featured in aquariums. This one has eyes that point upward and a mouth designed to catch food falling from above.