How To Declutter Your Life Using The Three Box Method

It's time to separate the negative from the positive.

144
Unsplash

In life, we come to different points where we reassess each of our relationships. We assess our cost and benefits and if we want to continue pursuing it. Whether its' a friendship, family member, or romantic relationship, using the "three box" method is useful when thinking of those in your life. The "Three Box Method" is a guaranteed way to declutter your life from irrelevant boys, drama starters, and those who you value and value you.

When thinking about people, you should think of three different “boxes”. Box one would be friends that bring you joy and you’re beneficial to. Box two would be people that you understand you can’t be close to, but you can’t help having them in your life whether they may be a mutual friend, etc. Box three would be people that are purposefully in your life but no longer bring you happiness or bring you more hurt than they bring you joy. The same can be in reverse.

If you’re no longer a positive person in someone’s life, your time in it has come to an end.

If you were to look individually at each person close to you in your life and you had people you could categorize as box three, it’s time to declutter your life. It’s time to recognize that box three holds way too much weight for you to give it any value or attention anymore. It may hurt to declutter, but the best part of decluttering is that you no longer have the heavy weight of someone weighing down your happiness or best potential in life. No one is holding the shackles on you anymore and you are free to do what you desire.

While it may be hard to “declutter” someone out of your life because you want to keep trying, at what point do you stop? At what point do you acknowledge that decluttering only hurts until the box is gone? And it may take a while for the box to be gone. But there comes a point where it will. I promise you that as time passes, you will feel worse until you feel better. You will start to understand your decision as you find happiness in yourself rather than something that brought immense unhappiness to you.

But most importantly, you will be separating those who bring negative energy from those that deserve to stay in your life because they bring you positive energy.