I'm Still Figuring Out How To Make Decisions For Myself, But That's OK

I haven't necessarily been the best me lately, but deciding to change that is only the beginning.

513
Burst on Unsplash

I've found lately that the most accomplishing feeling has been telling myself "no," or perhaps just becoming better at decision-making when it comes to my own well-being.

We all have our little quirks and insecurities that make us want to crawl back into the safety of our shells before we get the chance to look fear straight in the face and make a decision for the better of ourselves—and feel confident in it, too.

I'm not going to lie—it's taken me a while to learn how to make a decision for myself rather than for the better of someone else. Now, I'm no professional or close to certified to sit here behind my screen and give you advice on how to make decisions... I'm still trying to figure it out myself.

Our days are filled with endless decisions: what to eat for lunch, what movie to watch to correspond with our mood that day, or what playlist on Spotify to listen to. After going back and forth for about ten minutes, we figure that either decision will satisfy our needs and life will move on.

But, when it comes to big life decisions, we tend to stop mid in our tracks to look around for a flashing sign and waving arms to tell us which way to go. More than half the time, I've found that there's one option better than the other sitting in the back of my puzzled brain.

Yet, somehow I can't seem to come around to admitting to it. Then come the surrounding voices pitching in their opinions—as if we asked for them—only making this decision thing harder than it should be.

Whether this big decision is now or coming soon in the future, know that whatever you do is right. For once in your life, make a decision for yourself, plain and simple. Make a decision now that what you decide is going to be for yourself and not anyone else.

I can guarantee that once you do that, you might just see a change in things. Like I've said, I'm no professional at this whole advice thing. These are just a few things I've come to realize about myself. I haven't necessarily been the best me lately, but deciding to change that is only the beginning.

So whatever you decide, even if you're unsure of it at first, it's all going to fall into place just as it's meant to. It always does, doesn't it?