Decision 2016: It Is Not The Apocalypse

Decision 2016: It Is Not The Apocalypse

Hillary or Trump. Neither candidate is going to destroy the US, I promise.

2
Decision 2016: It Is Not The Apocalypse
CNN

A couple of thoughts on the election.

We are now less than six months away from election day and the choices for president this year are becoming clearer. Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump seem to have taken ahold of the election and the choice appears to be between the two.

I have personally heard many people look at this election and say “I’m moving to Canada if Trump/Hillary is elected.”

My reaction is different; to me it is just business as usual. It’s another election where the candidate on one side might as well be the devil and the candidate on the other side is acceptable.

Many people argue that Hillary is dirty or a liar. Honestly find someone that has been in politics as long as she has, and is as well liked in their party as she is; there is going to be dirt on that person. The game of politics can be a dirty game. Even though those qualities are not a favorable quality in a leader it does not mean that this candidate is a bad choice. Hillary has a ton of experience in foreign affairs and has some savvy in dealing with that aspect of the presidency. Not to mention Hillary is well respected by her peers and pulls a lot of support from the institution.

Trump has entered the race as a supposed outsider, following the same path that Ross Perot took in the 1992 election. Trump’s success has stemmed from his “disrupting the establishment” approach. He has stood out for his outrageous remarks and “honesty”. Trump is a polarizing figure. Many groups feel the current political system is corrupt and driven by those who can pay off elected officials.

Trump is campaigning on his own dime (well kind of, but that is a different discussion) and cannot be bought off. Although it is interesting that our nation has decided to combat the influence of big money on government decisions by electing the big money into office, it is true that Trump likely will not be influenced by money other than his own.

Trump is a master at marketing. Personally I think much of what he says is just to make noise and to connect with those voters who are angry or scared with certain aspects of the environment of which we live in; issues like immigration, terrorism, and the loss of personal freedoms. Trump’s biggest weakness, however, appears to be his outspokenness and emotional personality. Great leaders in American politics and in general are those who can keep a level head and do not let others get to them.

His diplomacy is nonexistent as well. His tantrums are fine if the goal is to isolate ourselves from the rest of the world, but not the actions of one that looks to build and hold relationships in the international community. I do feel like Trump may just be saying what he has to just to get elected. People forget he is not an idiot and he has an idea of how to get what he wants. If this is the case, which I hope it is, then we may see a different, tamer Trump if he gets into office. The question is if people want to risk that or not.

The reality remains, however, this election has its adversities, but in the grand scheme of things nothing has really changed. No matter what, a large portion of citizens are going to be disappointed with whoever gets elected.

Just remember, it’s not the end. In four years if one of the choices turns out to be a poor choice, another one can be made.

So my message to everyone: relax.