Deciding Whether Eta Iota Sigma Is The Right Choice

Are you a girl at Texas Christian University that is interested in strengthening your relationship with God?

10
TCU Faith and Spirit Wordpress

Last semester, after a few semesters of deliberation, I decided to join Eta Iota Sigma, the Christian sorority on TCU's campus. Several of my friends who lived in Milton Daniel told me that they had a blast during their new member semester, so I decided to try it out.

So for you freshmen, sophomores and the occasional junior/senior who is wondering if Eta Iota Sigma is the right decision, here are some reasons you should join.

1. You get to strengthen your relationship with God.

Our sorority's main attention is on how we can become closer to the Lord who loves us with all of our heart. All members attend and participate in Bible studies and church. In college, it is easy to stray from God, especially when some of the people you associate with might not believe in God. Having sisters to support you, listen to you and believe in God can make a significant difference in your relationship with God during your college years.

2. Rush is not stressful at all.

So you might have thought about rushing for a Panhellenic sorority or rushed for one the week before your freshman year officially started. You found out or learned that rush is very stressful, exhausting and lasts for an entire week. Some girls are unfortunately cut from the process and that can wreak havoc on their self-esteem/emotions. In fact, some girls transfer from TCU if they are not accepted in a sorority. Fortunately, rushing for Eta Iota Sigma is not stressful at all: you are not required to come to an interview and everyone gets accepted as a new member.

3. The cost is affordable.

Fact: most Panhellenic sorority members have to pay over $400 per semester to be a part of their Greek organization. In Eta Iota Sigma, you only have to pay $200 per semester. Also, if you cannot afford the cost, the treasurer is willing to find a way to help you pay the fees. Your wallet will thank you in the end.

4. Your "Histers" are amazing.

The executive officers will get to know you on a personal level and your new member educators are always willing to help you out or answer any questions on a personal level. Since Eta Iota Sigma is smaller than most other sororities on campus, it is easier to connect to your fellow sorority sisters. In fact, your sisters might become your second family.

During the first part of the semester, you will be assigned a big. Your big is going to be your biggest mentor and cheerleader. I know last semester, my big took me out to lunch sometimes and let me hang out with her family as well.

5. BYX parties.

Our brother fraternity on campus is Beta Upsilon Chi (or BYX for short). A couple of times per semester, BYX hosts root beer keggers. It is a great way to connect with our fellow brothers and have the time of your life without getting drunk. Also, BYX hosts several worship nights throughout the semester after Eta Iota Sigma meetings. Worship nights are a great way how to take a breather from our studies and connect with our fellow sorority sisters and our brother fraternity.

6. Helping out our world while having a blast.

All sororities donate their time and money to one specific non-profit organization. Our sorority contributes to the American Cancer Society. I know how difficult it is to have a family member who is fighting cancer and almost everyone I know has been affected by cancer in some way, whether it is directly or indirectly. We also contribute many hours to help better the Fort Worth community, whether it is by volunteering or performing community service.

Events that are not service-related include intramural sports competitions (basketball, volleyball, soccer, etc.), Mother's weekend, formal (yay!) and an Easter hike.

7. The time required to participate in Eta Iota Sigma is worth it.

You might worry that being part of Eta Iota Sigma is going to conflict with your academics, work or leisure. However, you are not required to go to too many events: the only events that you are required to go to are the meetings (you can only miss three per semester), to church and your Bible study and some of the charity events (like Relay for Life). You can be as involved (apply for chair or an executive office) or as uninvolved as you like. In fact, some girls in Eta Iota Sigma find that they are able to participate in a Panhellenic sorority as well.