Deciding A Major: Happiness First, Money Second

By Sophia Leogrande

1275
https://www.newswire.com/news/big-data-helps-students-choose-college-majors-19822541

Choosing a major has to be one of the most difficult decisions to make when applying for college and even when you are in college, it’s hard to feel confident in your decision. I have spoken to so many students who either are undecided with their major or don’t even like the one they chose.

The most important part of choosing a major is finding something you’re super passionate about. Sounds obvious, but there are so many students who only picked their major for the sole reason that the job after college pays well. While job salary is critically important in the ever-tumultuous economic times, no amount of money will replace the feeling of waking up happy every day to go to work, rather than dreading getting out of bed.

I realized being happy was more important than money because I was suddenly surrounded by numerous adults who wake up and dread going to their job every morning. They count the days down until they’re retired and essentially wish time away. My dream job is one that I genuinely want to go to everyday because I have a passion for what I do. I feel like this concept is never stressed when it comes time to choose what you want to do for the rest of your life, and it’s super important.

My best piece of advice with this is to think of jobs you would love to do every single day and never get bored of. This is super cliche but I am a firm believer in the quote “if you love what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life.” Because of this quote, I feel choosing a major that teaches you things you care about and want to continue pursuing in your field is so crucial to living a happy life, and at the end of the day that’s all that matters.

So, if you take away anything from my word vomit and hot takes on deciding a major, I hope it’s that you choose to do something with your life because it genuinely makes you happy, not just because it pays well.