Dear Unrequited Crush

Dear Unrequited Crush

Even the bad things in life help you grow

129
Dear Unrequited Crush

Unrequited love, what a concept.

It's the heavy thing we feel in our chests when our person of interest just doesn't feel the same way. Whether now or later, we all go through it eventually.

And, it absolutely sucks.

I wrote this letter a while ago when I was going through the process of getting over a boy. I liked him for about a year or so, and the buildup of emotion was overwhelming, to say the least.

I'm sharing this because writing is not supposed to be one-dimensional in any instance. It is supposed to be a vessel of emotion and thought-provoking concepts to trigger growth within the individual. We write about things that are uncomfortable, awkward, and even sad. That being said, this experience of unrequited infatuation has shaped me as a person and as a writer in the best way. I want to share that with you.

I hope by expressing my inner thoughts I could help some of you who are going through something similar or relate to those who have been through it:

Dear [insert crush name here],

What a wild ride it has been without you by my side. I honestly can't believe I've been so invested in the idea of your for this long. I still wonder what hooked me to you in the first place. Was it your smile or the sound of your voice? Was it your tenacity and hardworking spirit?

To debate, the reasons of my hopeless crush on you was not the reason I decided to write this letter. I made a New Year's resolution to get over you and I'm somewhat determined to accomplish it. Although my track record with New Year's resolutions have been sporadic, to say the least, I've come to a point in my life where it is crucial to do what I say. Today is definitely the day to start.

Let me start off by saying this: I liked you, and I will always remember the feeling. It's crazy to think after all of my inner turmoil, I would have gotten over you by now, but I haven't. I fell for you with every fantasy of our encounters I'd play over and over in my head. I laid in the space between you and i, building a bridge to a world of acceptance and love where we could exist together from sunrise to sunset. I believe that I still exist there, but reality has encroached on the magic, and it has overstayed its welcome. There is nothing left but the pain of acceptance.

I do not believe you returned any of my feelings in any form, much less respected me in giving me no closure, but I have come to terms with it. You broke my heart without touching it, and I've realized it's the worst pain of all: giving power to a ghost.

I cannot place my finger upon a reason why you chose to exist in a place where you knew you did not want to be. You tried to speak to me in some instances and pretended you did not know who I was in others. I was right here all along. If you truly wanted me, all you had to do was say so. But, you didn't, and I deserve better.

Maybe it is for the best that things with you did not work out. I believe this year will be full of prosperity and success for me, with or without you. I'm sick and tired of these feelings that I have for you that keep me up at night because they are so loud. I will never forget your lasting presence in my mind and heart, however, it doesn't mean that I have to continue on the brave crusade through high-school crushes stuck on you.

This is the changing point for me. You are one of the many things holding me back, and since you're not going to do anything about it, I'm going to make it easy and walk away.

Goodbye,

Jordyn P.S.