Dear Society: Your Hookup Culture Is Just Depressing

“Why settle for one person when you could have a different person every weekend?”

1795
Lindsey Jacobs

You meet this person at a party, club, bar- whatever. You find them attractive (maybe sometimes under the influence) and you think why not? They’re pretty cute so let me shoot my shot and just go for it. What’s the worst that could happen?

In the moment, you feel amazing. You have someone by your side- feelings, emotions, and intimacy are all in the palm of your hand. For one night, it feels like as if you’re on top of the world. You keep asking yourself, what more could I want? The heat of the moment makes you feel pretty powerful.

But, what you don’t realize is that feelings change. Emotions? They go all over the place. Intimacy? Don’t really feel it anymore. In the morning, that initial rush you felt the night before gets replaced with feelings of emptiness instead.

The mindset of meeting someone and choosing to spend time with them without dealing with all that emotional bullshit really hurts you in the end. The idea of going from one person to another really affects us no matter how much we want to say it doesn’t.

Not being able to settle down with one person, but looking for a different person every weekend- is just not healthy. By doing this to yourself, you succumb to being scared of real feelings and not being able to fully accept love. Do we even believe in love anymore? If the point of every hookup is to just feel good for one night, every night after that won’t feel any better. Trust me.

Do yourself a favor and stop glorifying this hookup culture. Obviously, in cases where both people want something casual and agree on it, is not a terrible thing. But, in cases where one feels the need to detach themselves from their feelings to just accept something that’s part of a culture is not okay. And, it will never ever be okay.

As a society, do we not believe in true love anymore? Because, love isn’t depressing- your hookup culture is though.