Dear Younger Me

Dear Younger Me

We have all made mistakes. I am proud of who you were and who you are.

7
Dear Younger Me
LeAnna Carrier

Dear Younger Me,

It's okay that you've done a couple of weird and crazy things throughout your Pre K-12 days. They have made you who you are. You grew up and now you are going to college to become a teacher. You go to a wonderful college and you have amazing friends and family. Here are a few things I am proud of you for doing.

I'm proud that you stood up for yourself in K5. Yes, you could've gone about it a different way but you did what your momma taught you. You got pushed out of the bottom of the playhouse by another girl. She was being mean to you. Plus, she scraped up your elbows and knees. I'm proud that you punched her in the tummy. It taught her a lesson. You may want to pick a day when your mother isn't substituting at the school that day, though. That would've been the smart thing to do. But hey, you were five so I will give you a break. At least you didn't get in that much trouble when you got home.

You remember that time in kindergarten when you couldn't tell time on the clock? You're a master at it now. Although digital clocks are a huge thing because people can't read the good ol' analog clocks. You see digital clocks are everywhere; on your new Fitbit, in the mall, on your ceiling, if you have a fancy alarm clock, on the computer and so on. But guess what? You can read the clock that uses hands now so there is not need for crying over it anymore. You're a master!

Yes, in fourth grade your time's tables were a huge deal. But no need to fear because you have them down now! After all those years in school, you now can tell them to everyone. So give yourself a pat on the back for struggling all those years. It paid off.

OK, we all know moving schools can be hard especially when you lose all of your friends, even friends you have had since kindergarten. But that mean girl at the new school who called you that bad name is wrong. You did the right thing by telling the teacher because she never called you that again. Out of it, you received one of your best friends, a different girl than the bully, of course. She is your lifelong friend and she has been there with you through it all. She's still your best friend. Don't forget to talk to her weekly and give her the new scoop!

You did it. You made it to sixth grade. Here is the place where you found your true passion, music. Yeah, it may have been hard at first but at college, you are soaring with your music skills. Thank your sixth-grade music teacher. She has shown you the gift God has given you. You will be doing this at college, big time. So keep on playing Squidward and you'll go very far.

Middle school was a blurry two years. That's OK though because it was some of the most awkward times. You won't have many memories from this time and that is perfectly fine. But one memory you can never forget is meeting your second best friend for life. She is shorter than you which you didn't think was possible. But through your first best friend you met y'all's final member. The three musketeers will forever be friends. She will encourage you just like your first best friend and be there for you through it all. Don't forget to talk to her weekly as well. She loves to hear from you!

We made it to the high school. Yes, this place taught you a lot about yourself. But ninth grade will forever be awkward. We all know this. You were awkward. That's OK because you are still awkward. Awkward is great. You looked so tiny in your band uniform. The hat was way too big and the bibbers looked funny on you. But hey, you loved every minute of ninth grade.

Eleventh grade. Almost there. You are almost at the finish line. This year you made the ColorGuard. This team will be your rock. You will go everywhere with these people. Even though you weren't the best dancer, you still could march their feet off. I'm so proud of you for this. You set your goals and started following them. You loved marching, but you also loved singing. That's why choir was a big part of your life. Don't worry that you didn't get a solo here, you get plenty in college. It becomes your life basically. This choir room in high school becomes your safe haven.

You made it. Your final year in public school, twelfth grade. You can say you survived school. You had bad times and worse times. You made Weapons Captain for the ColorGuard. You also made Symphonic Band once again. Your final marching band competition was filled with tears. Your final football game was filled with bittersweet tears. Your final choir concert was amazing. You still cherish all the things these friends have taught you. That choir teacher helped you get this amazing music scholarship you have. Who knew learning Italian songs could be so easy. Those two best friends turned into your sisters this year and are still your sisters today.

These times were amazing and they made you who you are. Don't forget that. Don't be ashamed of them. Don't be discouraged because of them. We all have done some crazy and weird things. Embrace them. I am so proud of the younger me. Don't change who you are.

Sincerely,

The woman you have become.