Dear Phone, I Love You

Dear Phone, I Love You

But I don't know you.
5

I got a new phone a month ago and if it was possible to marry it, I wouldn’t even be writing this because I’d been in Las Vegas meeting with an Elvis impersonator. It’s beautiful and new and doesn’t go half black when it gets cold, randomly freeze, or start playing random videos when I’m talking to my mom. Totally creepy, by the way.

No, my phone is about as perfect as it would be if it were my own baby (until I get a new one two years from now, of course), but as I flipped back and forth between writing this article and procrastinating by stalking my social media, I realized that I don’t really do anything with it.

Email. ENews. Buzzfeed. Facebook. Repeat.

Although, it’s mostly Facebook. You see, I think that the technology-obsession trait might have skipped over me. I’m quite liable to set my phone somewhere in my house and not check it for a few days. If I leave the house with my family, I don’t bother taking it with me. Chances are if I get a call, it doesn’t get answered—especially on this phone because I only just realized how to check my voicemail. Instagram and Twitter are like mysteries to me; and they're a hassle. Plus, there are all these apps on it that I can’t seem to delete, so they must be important.

I’ve realized that what I use my phone for is just scratching the surface. There’s got to be a million other things to do but I’m stuck being the least techiest 21-year-old in the short history of cell phones. Sure, it’s a distraction some of the time (alright, alright, most of the time), but that’s because I prefer reading people’s statuses on Facebook to writing papers and doing homework.

I know the tricks to my phone, how to work it—but I guess that I subconsciously don’t want my phone to rule my life. I don’t want to be that girl that got hit by a train because she was too preoccupied. I feel like if anyone is going to get hit by a train, it’d be me.

So why on earth do I spend money on something that I don’t use that in depth? Because it’s shiny. Pretty. New. Because it has all the answers in the world on it and has the ability to tell me what crazy thing happened on "Grey’s Anatomy" the other night or the color Taylor Swift dyed her hair. Because I can see that my professor cancelled class and therefore happy dances can ensue.

I figure it’s OK to be not techy with your phone, so long as you use it for what makes you happy. I don’t need to know the inside and out of it or what the heck go90 is or why I have two messaging apps. I definitely don’t need to use Kindle on my phone either, because then I’d definitely die happy in my plethora of books, but I’d be broke, too.

I’d like to know more about what my phone can do, but I think this relationship might be fine with a little mystery, too. That way in the two years that I have it, I’m still learning new and exciting things about it rather than chomping at the bit to upgrade.