Dear Overstressed College Student, It's OK To Take A Break Once In Awhile

Don't feel guilty for taking some time to rest.

245
Tess and Sarah Instagram

Hello, fellow college students.

Part of me loves being grouped into the "college student" category because it's such a crazy phase of life that is unlike any other. You constantly feel like you're in some sort of bubble that is incognizant to the real world.

On the other hand, it is very easy to get wrapped up in the college bubble world, so much that you find yourself drowning in a sea of tests, papers, meetings, activities and neverending to-do lists.

Every once in awhile, you need to remind yourself that it is OKAY to take a break.

I am currently writing this article with bloodshot eyes, a total of 8 hours of sleep for the past two days, and so many tasks to do that if assigned one more project to do, I might actually lose my mind. I'm pretty sure my brain turned off at the point of stress overload a few hours ago and I'm sure many other college students can relate.

But here's the deal. While I may have a huge exam tomorrow that I haven't even started studying for (hello procrastination), three projects to be working on, dance rehearsals galore, Bible studies to do, and more articles to edit, I am going to take a break. Why? Not necessarily because I deserve it (although that's what I'd like to believe). But because if I don't, I am going to run myself into the ground.

Spoiler alert: It's not possible to run at the speed of light every single day of every single week.

It's just not humanly possible. I don't know about you, but sometimes I catch myself thinking that I am superwoman and can do everything on my list without sleep because I am young (I should be able to bounce back, right?). WRONG.

In order to be successful in managing everything you've got going on, you have to find a BALANCE in your life.

So yes, I am going to spend the next 20 minutes watching the office as a break from studying (to the friends who told me to watch this series, I finally caved). Yes, I am going to grab lunch with my friend to clear my head for a bit and sneak in a little bit of socializing. Yes, I am going to take a nap for a bit because I won't be able to function if I don't (four hours of sleep each night will catch up with you!!).

The truth is, if you're tackling on too much without supplying yourself with a healthy balance of breaks, your attitude is going to consume you.

So yes, even with the three extra coffees you had today with extra shots of espresso, having too much on your plate is not an excuse to snap at people. In all honesty, too often I catch myself doing this. I know I haven't allotted enough time in my schedule to offset the amount I work I have when my stress starts to control me and my behavior towards others.

So if you're feeling overwhelmed today or like breaking down because you have no idea how you're going to accomplish your responsibilities, I encourage you to take a small break, whether that be reading, watching Netflix, chatting with friends, taking a walk, hitting the gym, or time spent reflecting, and get back to what you need to do with a sense of renewed energy.

Remember, if you incorporate healthy breaks into your schedule, I promise that you are going to find the motivation and energy to be succesfully in whatever you do. So no more feeling guilty about giving yourself a break!